Street vs MTB

GoldenMotor.com

rellikx

Oct 5, 2012
FLORIDA
So I am on my last stages of doing research to finally start buying all my components for a motorized bike.

I don't know what type of bike to get the motor on ( I have a few people that offered free bikes, so I have access to several). It seems that having front shocks would be decent to reduce the bumpyness but I dont seem to see many motorized mtbs. All the possible mtbs I could get have just the front shocks, nothing on back so it should fit.

That being said, I have also been offered several street bikes.

So what are the downsides/upsides to each one?
(I do want it to be able to go decently quick so I assume weight is an issue, but I do live in a BUMPY area)

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
what kind of drive do you want to do and how much do you want to spend on this

personally i say grab 3-4 bikes if you can that are the same size and mix parts a cruiser frame works great and a mountain bike front shock makes the ride better also one might have better rims or tires im just saying more parts to work with is a good thing if any of them have disk brakes also a plus

its alot what you want out of it how much you want to spend and what kind of riding you like (if you are going to ride it as a bike alot)

rellikx

Oct 5, 2012
FLORIDA
I was pretty much debating between the GT-5 or the PK-80 from piratecycles. Don't want to spend much as it is my first build. Ill probably never ride it as a peddle bike so im kinda leaning towards slapping the shocks from a mtb onto a cruiser (to craigslist I goooo).

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i would lean to the PK-80 i haven't had any luck with the GT-5 mines a parts motor for my flying horse motor right now i say do your research on here about both and make your choice then im kind of over the cheap 2 stroke kits right now and im leaning to building a 4 stroke after i finish fixing my current bike they need to make a 12 step program for these bikes they get addictive:)

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Get a mountain bike.
Sprung fork is nice.
A mountain bike will have 2 good brakes- an absolute necessity if you want all your body parts in their current location.
You will also get gears.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I have a motorized MTB and love it! I put riser handlebars on it and it's quite comfortable and structurally solid! Just make sure it's of steel construction.