First time new build-needs lots of advice and help

GoldenMotor.com

bugnut

Aug 19, 2011
Alabama
Hi : Great Forum This is my first build and id like to get as much info as possible . To start with im using a 26 inch Trex Mtn bike and Grubee skyhawk 66/80 kit . Whats the best rear axle and wheel combo ,what gear ratio i see 40 -44 -5o- ect. Can i leave the speed gears on the pedal side? Id like to use a springer front end any suggestions there straight or bent?? I see a rear wheel with the sprocket mounted to the hub is and not the spokes is this a good one ? Please guys i need all the info and help i can get. thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Everybody has their favorite wheel type. You can use freewheel or cassette wheels with multi-gears on the rear. In most cases, you need a nutted axle (vice skewer). Springer forks are fine unless you plan on riding off-road trails. Rear sprockets can be mounted using the typical rag joint, clam shell or disk mount.
It's hard to get all the answers up front. Do plenty of reading on this site before purchasing.

bugnut

Aug 19, 2011
Alabama
Wheelbender6 thanks for all the info --you lost me lol whats the differance between freewheel and cassette wheels---whats a rag joint ????clam shell or disk mount ---Ive read about all the posts in here and cant find these answers---like i said im new at this but i want to thank you for the quick answers and all the help my motor kit got here today and my frame will be back from the powder coater on Wed so i hope to at least learn a little so i can get started-----BIG THANKS