Bike rack for econobox

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been putting off getting a bike rack for my wife's Hyundai, but the time has come. As some of you know I sold my car. My bike is my only form of independent transportation. Something came up today on her second day of retirement, Things like this will surely come up again and again. We need to go somewhere together, but then she needs to go somewhere I do not want to go. So, I need to carry my bike on the Hyundai then ride it home. That way she can go to a different place. Also I need it just in case I break down and she needs to come get me.

So here is the questions. The car is only a couple of years old and it has one of those fake plastic bumpers. It does have a ring under the trunk that looks like it might be there for towing purposes. I have no idea how a bike rack would attach to this car. Or even what kind to buy sooo. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It's just a metal ring I'm not sure it is a hitch as much as just a place to hook a chain. Do they make something to fit inside the ring. I could always go with a trunk mount I suppose since it won't be used often. I would prefer something that wasn't attached to the trunk.

I have no idea what that ring is for.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
That ring is just a tow ring, you can't attach a rack to it.

Basically you're either strapping on a trunk mount rack which may dent or deform the back bumper with a heavy MB on it, OR you're having a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver hitch installed and adding a hitch mount rack which will easily handle the load, OR you're adding a rooftop rack like a Yakima or Tule but I can tell you from experience it can be a shoulder wrenching experience to throw your MB up there and get it off again safely without help or without scratching anything on your car on the way up or down..

Good luck.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'll be tossing a small bike with a hub motor max on it. The china kit bike I had was way to heavy for a trunk mount bike rack. I don't think I would be using it more than a couple of times a year so I might just go with a trunk lid mount. My bikes are so small and light I can actually put them in the trunk if I need to do that.

I am going to redesign my pusher so that all if it either comes off or folds up. I think it is a better bike than my hub motor bike. Thanks guys I think I have it figured out now.