Jim's Sprocket Adaptors "Great Value"

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Appreciated Guys!!!

I got more orders for sprockets and adapters than I had anticipated...I got a bunch made up this week!

I'll be at the shop tomorrow working on the final operations so that I can get them all shipped next week.

Thank you for your patience...It will be rewarded.

Jim

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
No worries Jim. Thanks for making these parts. I'm glad that you offer some high quality parts for these little engines. I wish somebody would make a magneto that would run headlights with a stable voltage and amperage through the entire rpm range of the engine. I don't know, maybe it will happen and maybe not. I'm not an electronics expert but wishful thinking never hurt anybody.

Last edited:

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
No worries Jim. Thanks for making these parts. I'm glad that you offer some high quality parts for these little engines. I wish somebody would make a magneto that would run headlights with a stable voltage and amperage through the entire rpm range of the engine. I don't know, maybe it will happen and maybe not. I'm not an electronics expert but wishful thinking never hurt anybody.
My experience with mag lighting isn't good. Our trail bikes in the 60s and 70s would have a head and tail light and if one burned out or had a vibration failure the other one woud burn out as the voltage went sky hi.

Of course my Honda doesn't have a lighting wire. but I think the solution is the same? The engine needs a voltage generation source and a regulator, plus a battery as both a storage source and help regulate the voltage. I doubt in the case of the Honda that the magnet in the flywheel has enough field on its' outside diameter to mount a lighting coil? Can't speak for the 2 strokes.

It might be possible for someone like Jim to modify flywheels to include one or two magnets in the outer diameter to drive a lighting system?

I have thought for some time about a direct mechanical drive for a generator or alternator. The only rotating face on the Honda is the flywheel as the Grubee transmission takes up the output shaft. Then you are faced with a rotating surface running up to 7500 RPM. Hard to get that down to a usable speed for the electrical system.

I am sure there is someone here that has an original ideal, I feel locked in to my experience and thus no original thinking.

Need a young mind with a free spirit. )

Jim

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Its kinda hard to think that someone hasn't come up with a system that works, then again I haven't come up with anything either. The sprocket is the first hurtle and I think Jim has that nailed down. Oh well, I'll go search the forums some more and see what other folks are doing.

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
Hello, I was wondering if you need that special sprocket in order for it to work, and what the price of it is. Thanks!

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I don't think you need the special sprocket, but will be a lot happier if you do get it.

MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm

The above is Jim's new website address.

I think I paid US$15 for the sprocket. It is a beautiful piece of work.

The China steel ones are not very good. Bolt hole pattern varies, sprocket tooth circle isn't always concentric with the bolt circle. The first one I got with my kit wasn't even flat.

I paid US$20 for a new one from Bicycle Engine. It was better (than the bent one) but not anything you could call precision.

I checked the bolt circle on Jim's with the steel one I had. Although they are supposed to have the same bolt circle, they didn't seem to align properly. The bolts in the hub adapter are larger as there are only three of them. I know they are concentric.

Hope you get your setup working. After seeing how the adapter and sprocket fit up and the alignment it gave me, it was well worth the package price.

Jim

Hello, I was wondering if you need that special sprocket in order for it to work, and what the price of it is. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
It is not neccessary to buy my sprocket with the adapter, but you will have to drill an accurate 3" B.C. 3 hole pattern in your existing sprocket using a letter "V" drill. If you are "VERY" good at doing layout work...you can do it by hand drilling. This level of precision, (laid-out by hand), is a skill very few possess.

Jim