this engine

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
dunno, but doubt I'd ever ride a bike with an engine that looks like a lady's overnight bag

I recall how triumph killed bsa when bsa started using a silly looking motor.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
With proper reduction gearing it will work just fine. Not a powerhouse though, probably less than 3hp. No different than any of the type.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That motor looks close to the Zooma 33cc motor i used for the junk yard dog http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/33cc_motor.htm

Worked well it was a little gutless on steep inclines if you did not gather momentum first. And a strong head wind would dog the motor.

But it would cruise at 27-30mph if you helped pedaled up to those speeds. other wise just using motor with no pedaling 22-24mph tops.

I ran a 36t sprocket and a 44t but only once did I run the 44t.

I did not purchase the motor I removed it from a Zooma Ty RodII go-kart.

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Actually a decent little engine. You can find one for less if you look around on e-bay. Sold as a Pocketbike engine, they are 48cc's All of the transmissions fit, including the CVT

On a regular in-frame it should work out well with a shift kit.

I put one on as a front wheel drive on my 29'er. Just got back from the races with it. Did about 8 full laps of the Grange breaking it in & adjusting the mixture. Engine had 5 minutes on it before it hit the track.

Then it was two 6 lap heats & a 10 lap main - mostly at WOT. Never missed a beat. Going to be a good commuter.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
It pulls pretty good for 48cc's - and 220 lbs on a 29'er

I need to tune the CVT a little. The clutch stalls at about 5200 rpm, and the CVT starts up shifting about 5500. It would have more punch if it started shifting about 6500. The engine is happy at 7500.

Right now, about 27mph on level ground without pedaling. Should improve with some changes to the CVT.

Like I said, with a shift kit hooked to the end of the standard 5:1 pocket bike transmission it should be a runner. There was just no room for that with full suspension.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I have no experience with the 50cc 4 strokes on a bicycle, so I can't really say.

I could not catch the 79cc LF152 bike that was on the track with me. He tops out about 35 mph.

It is a 50cc utility engine that should have good life. I used one for years on a brush cutter, running wide open all the time. Burn as much as 2 gallons of fuel a day clearing brush.