No room to fit air filter!

GoldenMotor.com

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Hi,

In a bit of a predicament with a new chinese 80cc high performance carb I have just fit to my China girl 80cc (66cc).
The carb being slightly wider will not allow clearance to the down tube to fit the air filter.
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Forget the last............ just managed to get clearance by lifting the engine position on the frame,all I need to do now is find a shim for the back mount & job done (I hope!).

Cheers, Pete.

Pete.

Last edited:

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Managed to shim out engine and give room for air filter.
Took for a quick test run last night and found very sluggish engine revs and pull espeacially up any inclines!
The angle that the carburetor now sits in relation to the engine is at an angle, do you think that this could be the issue?
May have to refit original carb (red air filter cover) to remedy the problem which is a bit of a bummer and waste of money and time:(
Anyone else come across similar issues?

Cheers, Pete. (nothern lads like gravy)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
often the case until some miles are put on the motor (have seen new engines go 15mph or less for first tank & only get 20 miles on that whole tank)

you should see a lot of improvement after that

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Messed around with carburetor but unable to get it running any better, so had no option but to refit original NT carb!
Don't think angle of engine was an issue as NT carb runs fine.
The only reason I bought the upgraded carb was due to losing the idle/air adjustment screw and was also replacing everything on the drive train as well, so thought I may as well do the upgrade.
Why do they advertise the carb as fitting all china girl's when quiet obviously they don't ?? :(

Cheers Pete.zpt

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
In my experience, I'd stick with the NT. I have a 66cc on a 29" mountain-bike, and the standard NT when tuned properly gives outstanding performance and it's by far the cheapest and simplest carb for our application. That said, I recommend you get one of these if you can't fit the carb: https://www.bicyclemotorworks.com/s...ld-49cc66cc80cc-2-stroke-engine/#.VCGlOvldUYM

You can't tune your carb (and it won't operate) properly unless its float-bowl is level.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see why you'd bagged the NT. Buy a new one! They're dirt-cheap.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I'm new to these bikes but I am working on one now. Mine came with the NT carb and I gotta say that it is a marvel of simplicity. No enrichening circuits, no vacuum bellows, no sticky, precision slide (it has a spring) or throttle plate shaft. The only criticism I have of it are the slots cut in the intake fitting to allow it to tighten down on the intake manifold. They could cause a massive leak if the carb isn't snugged up good.
Other than that, I think it is a perfect carb for these little dudes. Anyone can figure it out and fix it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
they say it fits because it does - they never say it also works well

I was offered those 40mm rod kits at a VERY attractive price, but all came with speed carbs - aside from getting the carb working, you have the problem of the air filter turning pink after a few weeks in the sun.

May still get several & buy carbs separately tho, as the price would allow me to just toss those kit carbs.

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Thanks for suggestions/input guys, much appreciated!!
Forgot to mention, I ordered a new NT carb from China last week due to them being so cheap (£7 inc p&p !), like Kioshk stated.
Always handy to have spare parts to hand for future projects, so not worked out too bad after all :)
Been motorized biking now for over 18 months (3k miles) & loving it!
Still on same China Girl 66cc engine with no problems, touch wood!

Cheers, Pete.brnot