motorized bicycle 44 to 36 tooth sprocket swap

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I bought a grubee skyhawk kit with a 44 tooth included. Can a 36tooth from another supplier fit the existing washers and stuff, or can I use another washer/bolt/cog kit with this engine, as long as it takes the wide 1x1 chain?

thuginfc

Nov 28, 2009
F.W.B. Florida
yes pretty much any sprocket for use with the 9 hole adapter and 415 chain will work look at the sponsors on the sides of this page theyll hook youup im sure

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
I got my motor from Bike Berry and all looks well, fast shipping. But their site doesn't show a smaller cog. Maybe they sell a larger engine cog.
You could email Bike Berry and ask.
Otherwise most other suppliers sell 36T, zoom have 40T flat sprockets. (I have one here, not fitted yet.)
I can personally recommend zoombicycles, dax or Rock Solid Engines from experience, otherwise try the sponsor sites on the left, or, for fancier stuff, try:-
MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm

...Steve

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Ok, I'll try BBerry. Maybe they have more stuff than the site shows.

First I'll just get it running with the stock stuff and the adapter gear, then maybe I'll just save and buy the optional hub and cog (I can build wheels if I can get good info on spoke lengths I think DT has a online calculator for almost anything made)

You could email Bike Berry and ask.
Otherwise most other suppliers sell 36T, zoom have 40T flat sprockets. (I have one here, not fitted yet.)
I can personally recommend zoombicycles, dax or Rock Solid Engines from experience, otherwise try the sponsor sites on the left, or, for fancier stuff, try:-
MANIC Mechanic Parts.htm

...Steve

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
yes pretty much any sprocket for use with the 9 hole adapter and 415 chain will work look at the sponsors on the sides of this page theyll hook youup im sure
There are significant variations in hole position. Donuts and crescent washers are not always interchangeable among sprockets. I have 3 different incompatible types.

thuginfc

Nov 28, 2009
F.W.B. Florida
There are significant variations in hole position. Donuts and crescent washers are not always interchangeable among sprockets. I have 3 different incompatible types.
very true, i forgot to mention make sure your get the corect hole number and size bolt holes

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Awesome thread Norman,Easy step by step instructions,great pics,this will make it alot easier for guys who need help with sprocket install.GREAT POST!!!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I don't know what torque reading it is, but if you over do it, the rubber washer that is cut may tear or squish out and deform. If you can, put a hose clamp around it when its snugged up, and when you tighten it down it will stay straighter and the cut section won't gap. (you can remove the hose clamp then.

When reading install instructions I have seen both, cut and do not cut 2nd rubber washers. I decided the do not cut sounded correct. What I have not been able to understand is the wording "Tighten Bolts", how tight is that? 12 ft lbs - 30 ft lbs or ???? - think I am getting anal in my old age.:rolleyes:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I am getting along good on my Grubee bike. It goes 32mph max, and pulls me up hills at 29-30 just fine (like overpasses on svc roads).

Bikeberry.com said they have 36t sprockets which are basically the same but smaller, only you will have to use the 44t to mark it and drill your own holes to mate with the 9hole rubber washer and hardware. Thats not so bad, if the center holes are the same size. (mine uses a inside rubber spacer and a friction fit on the coaster hub)

I don't know what the 5hole 36t would go to, but maybe they don't drill them with 9 holes, so no one can sue and say they sold a kit that went too fast, or maybe they think clutch wear will be increased with the small cog.

If you just used a plain BMX chainring, this gives a lot of options, like maybe even a 32 or 28 t sprocket. I think you would need a road bicycle and have to pedal a lot to use that one, but wow.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I don't know what the 5hole 36t would go to, but maybe they don't drill them with 9 holes, so no one can sue and say they sold a kit that went too fast, or maybe they think clutch wear will be increased with the small cog..
Or maybe they are dumping stock from 2001. Others like DAX and BGF have them and they are cheaper and fit.

tonytt98

Jun 24, 2009
Cape Coral, FL
Where do you get one of those dial indicators? Can you get them cheap off of ebay? What are good search keywords for looking for one?

Thanks,
Tony

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I changed from a 44t to a 36t,And instantly notice a difference,of about a 4to5 mph incresse,but lost some low end torque,but made that up by padialing a little more.A 38t is a good inbetween.Randy

JTinFL

Feb 4, 2010
Port Charlotte,Florida
Thanx for very informative info.I must have been lucky on first two builds.I did'nt even use fiber washer on outside of spokes.The chain stays on both bikes.Could I be damaging the wheels?