Fuel Savers, Most MPG, Aero Advantages... Post'em up here!

GoldenMotor.com

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA
With fuel prices expected to hit 5 bucks a gallon...

...I started this thread to share yet another aspect of our beloved machines!

Post all tips: On fuel saving, most MPG, Aero advantages and anything related to high MPGs motorized bicycles!

Let the savings begin!

MTBMoto
cvlt1

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I just fiddle with my 2-stroke here and there to get as much efficiency as she'll muster. I've had her ported, adjusted the needle position, good brand of plug and the right plug gap, performance air filter, aligned the drive chain and trued & aligned the rear wheel to the very best of my ability, lubed darn near everything, etc. All the little things add up.

The other part of the equation is for the rider to do what he/she can. I give her a little time to warm up (not a lot, just a minute or less depending on outdoor temperature). And I'm often conservative with throttle use, when I'm commuting.

I have to confess: when I'm riding for fun, my throttle use is less-than-conservative.:)

Last edited:

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
i imagine a recumbent with a windsheild would help with the wind flow .

pedaling to a good cruiseing speed before you start rideing .

i wander for the 2 smokers if the the oil to gas ratio would play a large enough role to matter for mpg .

use the engine as a tool to go up hills not the sole means of power .

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Great rolling narrow 700c tires- and when you get up to that faster speed they give, and you just know your gonna get stopped by that light ahead- hit that kill button from 2 blocks away and just let her COAST-

Same thing when you arrive at your destination- I usually shut down and pedal in parking lots when there's peope around. While it's not loud like a lot of motorcycles, the motors are a bit noisy and I don't like to call attention to that buzzing around pedestrian areas

and then there's always the DESCENTS- although not many here in Florida now (finally sold the house in Brown County IN)- shut down and pedal or just coast- and it helps to have a 5 or 6 speed and big gear

Most often shut down at stoplights anyway, especially when I see it coming- saves the gas and lets the motor cool a little. The 50cc kicks over a bit easier than the 66.

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA
WOW great tips already...

...I can agree, people who ride bicycles know how to use momentum to the extreme, and no matter what you ride you can always save in some form or another.

MTBMoto
cvlt1