Bicycle engine kits in Canada are becoming scarce

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
With regards to the supply of bicycle engine kits in Canada from Canadian sellers...

Daemon Bikes - Site taken down

Tsunami Bike - Site up, engine kits in stock @ $150 ea.

80cc Motorboys - Site up, engine kits in stock, limited quantity @ $200 ea.

Zoom Bicycles - Site up, no engine kits in stock

Unless a bicycle engine kit's engine meets the EPA 40-CFR-1051 rating and is labeled as such it will not be granted entry into Canada in 2011 and onwards. From what I can see only YuanDong SkyHawk engines are certified to meet the latest and greatest EPA rating mentioned. No Canadian suppliers that I am aware of are selling YuanDong SkyHawk brand engines at this time. If you live in Canada and you are in need of an engine kit do check out one of the suppliers above that still have some of the older EPA spec kits in stock. If you live in Canada and plan to buy and import an engine kit from the USA do make sure it's a YuanDong SkyHawk brand that meets the 40-CFR-1051 EPA specs or it's likely it will be denied entry into Canada.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Given the multitude of variables involved, not least of which the questionable legality of Canadian motorized bicycles in the first place, but also including the annual cycle of scare tactics perpetuated by unscrupulous and/or naive vendors, I'd be extremely reluctant to take any of this at face value.

Every season like clockwork, these same concerns are presented. Each and every spring the vendors experience stock shortages due to massively increased demand and as a result many theories are presented, substantiated primarily by claims made by vendors - which can usually be discounted due to obvious bias, rumor mongering & suspect motivation.

Despite all such identical concerns presented each and every spring season, the cycle has been repeated with fascinating redundancy - as far back as this forum's inception and for countless years beforehand by any number of two stroke enthusiasts in all assorted applications the exact same cycle has taken place, every spring folks worry the imminent demise of the two stroke engine - then every fall/winter there's a glut on the market resulting in drastic price reductions due to ready availability of any two stroke of your choice.

As a result it's safe to say that while there may well be some complications - no accurate determination can be made regarding the overall & continuing availability of the two stroke kits during this time of year. I would advise waiting until the "spring rush" is over before becoming too concerned about dwindling inventories.

Last edited:

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Hey All, Been a while since I posted
Rock, is right about all that is going on and since I am on the front lines here I thought I would chime in, we have been working hard with Zoom and Deamon, to try and get an epa cert and a kit tested to pass, but the issue is a sticky one that we are just not going to get resolved. it is just not cost effective and the the EC are all over the place.
Zoom was busted last week and inventory was taken, my friend Paul over at Deamon was visited 2 times last week, Tsunami, I am not to sure about as they are not the most friendly kids on the playground, . All in All this most likely will be it in Canada, we do have around 150 kits left and the reason for the price hike was, we had an order of 600 due end of May and the EC is not going to let them into the country, so we just got hosed, the factory will not take them back and they can not come into the country. Our price is $175 at the store { we only raised it $25} but online they are $200 with shipping in. we found about 50 chrome in our warehouse as well as a skid of 4 and 2 stroke rear friction, it's crazy the things you mis place when you have lots of engines coming in and out,lol. Anyways guys thanks to all our great customers over the past 3 years its been fun.

Rob
Motor Boys
80ccmotorboys.com

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Given the multitude of variables involved, not least of which the questionable legality of Canadian motorized bicycles in the first place, but also including the annual cycle of scare tactics perpetuated by unscrupulous and/or naive vendors, I'd be extremely reluctant to take any of this at face value.

Every season like clockwork, these same concerns are presented. Each and every spring the vendors experience stock shortages due to massively increased demand and as a result many theories are presented, substantiated primarily by claims made by vendors - which can usually be discounted due to obvious bias, rumor mongering & suspect motivation.

Despite all such identical concerns presented each and every spring season, the cycle has been repeated with fascinating redundancy - as far back as this forum's inception and for countless years beforehand by any number of two stroke enthusiasts in all assorted applications the exact same cycle has taken place, every spring folks worry the imminent demise of the two stroke engine - then every fall/winter there's a glut on the market resulting in drastic price reductions due to ready availability of any two stroke of your choice.

As a result it's safe to say that while there may well be some complications - no accurate determination can be made regarding the overall & continuing availability of the two stroke kits during this time of year. I would advise waiting until the "spring rush" is over before becoming too concerned about dwindling inventories.
I can tell you they are done in Canada, peroid! We are haveing our inventory seized and hefty fines being thrown around. Wait if you want friends but when our kits are gone that is it, I'm not losing my house!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*shrug*

I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Canadian law and it could well be a "Cried Wolf" scenario - but given the past history and previous testaments from any number of vendors I'm not concerned in the slightest. Even if this does come to pass, then it will only force an equivalent kit into production as obviously the demand is there.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Motor Boys...... my suggestion is.......

Get your stuff together and move a bit farther South to the US of A........we may have a few more years here before the commy B*****d's take over here too, it's a sad day when the power hungry (tree hugging) idiots rule......!

We gotta fight this crap people or we will lose all of our freedoms and rights in the near future......

Hearing this about Canada really upsets me as you can tell by this post, sorry for the rant.....!

Peace

I can tell you they are done in Canada, peroid! We are haveing our inventory seized and hefty fines being thrown around. Wait if you want friends but when our kits are gone that is it, I'm not losing my house!

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Thats the problem my friends it is the tree huggers and what not, as for the cried wolf comment, it is happening, as it happened in the US, gas bike.net is the only site going to be selling these things in the next couple of months and watch the price soar, they are the only ones with enuff money to pay the $35,000 for the testing every 2 years to get the epa cert. We have spoken to Grube {motorboys and Deamon} and we are sol without epa cert and even if we get one it does not mean it will be any good in 6 months if they change anything, that is straight from E.C. so what this means is 1 dealer is going to make a mint if your laws stay the same. Anyways it is good to post again and glad to see barelyawake is still the same,lol good luck all it has been fun!