Have engine-need bike

GoldenMotor.com

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
I received my 4 cycle engine from bikekitsdirect.com on Friday. I have visited three stores (Target, Walmart, and Kmart) and I'm unable to find a cruiser that has the three piece crank. I became disgusted and then started looking at comfort bikes to use so that I could start the build this weekend.
Either the stores where sold out or they didn't carry that type.

Talk about frustrating!! I live here in Eastern PA, and there's some rolling hills surrounding my home town. I guess my question is this..can a 4 cycle with a 50 tooth sprocket move me (215lbs) and a single speed cruiser up a hill?
Do I need to get a 7 speed instead of a coaster brake single speed?
I'm open to suggestions and advice.
Thanks,
Larry

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with 4 strokes. But I would bet with 50 tooth sprocket you could climb most any hill. I have a Schwinn Jaquar with a china 70cc 2 stroke. I run a 44 tooth and have never had to pedal up any hills. We are at 3250 above sea level.

I got my bike at Target. Glad you joined us.......................

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes, the stock gearing on the bike should be fine... I've ridden a 4-stroke.
I suggest that you build the bike & ride it first; THEN, decide if you need to change the gears...

Lightfoot

Jul 3, 2008
Moab, Utah
You can get a conversion kit to convert the american style bottom bracket to accept a 3-piece crank. A good bicycle shop should be able to fix you up with one or you could search online. Electra also makes some cruiser style bikes that have 3 piece cranks but they sell for considerably more money than a walmart/k-mart bike.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
First off, thanks to all who responded. This forum is great, and a tribute to those who offer their experiences and hard learned lessons.
After reading your replies, I would like to purchase an old school cruiser (I'm 51, so I think that has something to do with it..) and I would like to get the correct three piece crank to replace the one piece.
Now for the newbie question..how do I know what three piece crank to order. I've rebulit many a Wheel Horse tractors, have drag raced two of them, and have built two mini bikes, but when it comes to bikes, I have the experience level of a head of lettuce.
I'm anxious to start assembling the bike, as I live in a small town and pretty near everything is accessible by bike without fighting heavy car traffic.
Thanks again,
Larry

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello Nitro. I motorized an old school style cruiser, (new bike, old style) made by Pacific Co. It is very comfortable to ride due to its large frame and the body posture it allows the rider to sit in. Looks kinda like an early motocycle.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Why do you think you'll need a 3-piece crank in the first place???
The in frame 4-stroke kits that I have seen, come with a special wider 1-piece crank to clear the engine.

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Why do you think you'll need a 3-piece crank in the first place???
The in frame 4-stroke kits that I have seen, come with a special wider 1-piece crank to clear the engine.
VB,
The 4 stokes are a wider engine than the 2 strokes, so the wider crank is necessary. They engine kit contains a three piece "crank set" (two crank arms, and chain sprocket) which requires the "square shaft bottom bracket" to mount the crank set on. Most (practically all) of the bikes I looked at have the one piece cranks on them and that renders the three piece crank set that came with the kit useless. I know my terminology is not the best, and I'm probably not explaining myself in the most accurate way as well.
At any rate, I need the square shaft type bike to bolt my crank set onto.
The Ashtabula type one piece crank will not work for my 4 stroke engine.
Thanks,
Larry

Lightfoot

Jul 3, 2008
Moab, Utah
I guess I'm confused now. I thought your kit came with a wide 3 piece crank. All of the 4 stroke kits I've seen came with the wide crank as part of the kit. I've seen some kits with 1 piece cranks and some with 3 piece. Do you mean your kit just has the crank arms and not the square shaft spindle part? If so here is a link to a conversion kit that includes that part.

Pyramid 3 pc, Bottom Bracket Conversion Kit | BikepartsUSA

VB,
The 4 stokes are a wider engine than the 2 strokes, so the wider crank is necessary. They engine kit contains a three piece "crank set" (two crank arms, and chain sprocket) which requires the "square shaft bottom bracket" to mount the crank set on. Most (practically all) of the bikes I looked at have the one piece cranks on them and that renders the three piece crank set that came with the kit useless. I know my terminology is not the best, and I'm probably not explaining myself in the most accurate way as well.
At any rate, I need the square shaft type bike to bolt my crank set onto.
The Ashtabula type one piece crank will not work for my 4 stroke engine.
Thanks,
Larry

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Lightfoot,
You hit the nail on the head. My kit does not contain the square bottom bracket shaft.
The kits supplies the two cranks and the sprocket for a square shaft. The cruisers I've seen have the one piece crank/bottom assembly, which I cannot use.
The site you supplied me will certainly help me though.
Thanks,
Larry