Holy cow! 1961 98cc racing kart motor on a schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Sorry the pics are so poor, taken by an excited woman who has a knack for finding deals on bikes. Couldn't hold her cell steady. It IS for sale, but until she decides if she wants it....

However I wanted your input on this bike. ALL I know is it's a racing motor from 1961, it runs or will run. Parts are available online. Needs a carb kit, and a exhaust... and finishing. The guy told me the brand but I can't remember it as I was 1/2 asleep when she called. He said they used to put two of these on racing karts and they would go 120mph+.... That tells me that it would be scary fast on a bike. It's a pull start.

Anyway, any comments or thoughts?

Attachments

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Sorry the pics are so poor, taken by an excited woman who has a knack for finding deals on bikes. Couldn't hold her cell steady. It IS for sale, but until she decides if she wants it....

However I wanted your input on this bike. ALL I know is it's a racing motor from 1961, it runs or will run. Parts are available online. Needs a carb kit, and a exhaust... and finishing. The guy told me the brand but I can't remember it as I was 1/2 asleep when she called. He said they used to put two of these on racing karts and they would go 120mph+.... That tells me that it would be scary fast on a bike. It's a pull start.

Anyway, any comments or thoughts?
If thats a 100cc in the same state of tune as the fantic TI 50cc you are looking at upwards of 12hp - which will shred wheels, and most other bits it gets attached to

It looks like the carb runs directly into the crankcase which is a little odd, but not something i havent heard of. Does it have a gearbox built into it?

Should be an interesting project whatever happens..

Jemma xx

azvinnie

Jul 23, 2008
it looks like alot of engine for a little bike, hope you have good brakes on that thing:crash:

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It will like a amusement park ride. looks like fun but once you on it going full speed "HEEEERE COMES DINNER !!!!!!!"^5

I would try it once, ok maybe twice just to be sure.:crash:

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Looks Awesome. Kinda reminds me of a V-8 bikes but the mini version! How do you plan on routing the pipe?

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I had a West Bend engine like that in '62 on a minibike. I did a big bore on it and it went 78 mph with no brakes. Ran it next to a friend in his father's car to measure speed.