Mini RC plane vs. Hawk

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
This was funny!

Karen gave me a micro foam RC plane for Christmas...the lipo batteries are about 3/8" wide X 1 1/4" long. It's quiet. It flys great! It's really snappy for a small electric.

I was flying it at a vacant field near the shop a few days ago. It has been windy here lately, and I was all happy that I caught a moment of calm. So I run through one battery, (about 4 minutes fly time), and take off with a fresh battery. I'm doing a big loop of the field at about 60 feet height when a hawk dove down and hit it. I didn't see it until it was too late...coulda been an awesome dog fight. I'm sure the hawk would have won...but the chase would have added to the fun.

Karen saw it draw back and go into dive mode from way above...I didn't see it until plane and bird were twirling to the ground. The hawk let go about 20 feet from the ground. There are a lot of Osprey here...I am betting it will happen again!

You can get an idea how big the hawk was by the talon spread from the bottom of the plane to the top. Fortunately the bird figured out it wasn't food or the plane would have been shredded to bits.

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Did you fly out of it?

That would have been AWESOME to watch. I have had birds toy with my planes (electric park flyers) mostly jays and swallows, but nothing like that!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many years ago, in Miami, I used to chase buzzards with an old 'Ugly Stick'. I'd climb up to where they were circling in a thermal that was always over our flying field which shared a huge parking lot with Florida International University complex. Luckily I never hit one but you could tell when I came close cause they'd roll and dive away. The altitude was a little hard to judge but an 'Ugly Stick had a 5 foot wing span and it would be just a dot, along with the buzzards. Glad you still have your plane Jim. Is it repairable?
Tom

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I also fly R/C and we don't chase birds because we get complaints all the time from the "Bird People". And if it's a protected species then you could be in real trouble with the Fish&Wildlife popo. I can't tell the difference between the Yellow belly corn swallow and the Yellow tipped worbler. Ya Know?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Did you fly out of it?

That would have been AWESOME to watch. I have had birds toy with my planes (electric park flyers) mostly jays and swallows, but nothing like that!
Joe,

Unfortunately I never saw it coming...Karen saw the whole thing, but she had no idea it was after my plane! There are a lot of large birds of prey here, and you see them go into dive mode all the time.

It would have been fun to have spotted it comming, and made some evasive maneuvers. I was just flyin' along at about 60ft. and the hawk did a high speed dive...grabbed it, (I saw it then), and did about three death rolls and let go 20ft. off the ground. It happened so fast there wasn't time to do anything but watch. The Osprey, especially, will snatch smaller birds in flight...kill them and fly off for lunch. Luckily this one figured out he didn't have anything tasty, or my plane would have been shredded to bits. laff

David...It was the only thing that saved my toy plane...I can just imagine the bird thinking; "what is this"! Spit...sputter...release. I just knew there was going to be nothing left of it! That bird was twice the size of the plane. I have a lot of fun with it, and was glad to see it in repairable condition.

Tom...yes, I think it will live to see another outing. The Talons punched the foam up pretty good...but the servos and trays didn't get touched. I'll find something to patch the holes.

captainrichhill...The manatees are a big concern here in Florida...the birds seem to be able to handle themselves quite well. laff

Jim

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Jim You seen my pet raptor anywhere he's been missing for a few days?
He got mad one day pooped on the cat packed his feathers and headed south east.
Saying something about a P-51 he had a date with?
Dang bird if you see him send him home will ya!
Rufus misses him. Now all the cat plays with is bluejays.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i sure hope the hawk was Ok... could have easily hurt itself on the propellers...

i also have one of those R/C planes, taking off is easy, but I have not successfully made a good landing. I have not been chased by birds. I have broken off my wing, and my landing gear and have flown it only 3 times...The propellers spin really fast, and I think it can easily cut your finger off. Flight time is about 10 to 15 minutes... :)