eBay kit

GoldenMotor.com

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I recently purchased one of the 66cc kits off of eBay and I must say that it's a really nice engine. I got it from user xjy19612013 who has sold over 1,000 of these and has a good rating. It came with the newer style tank and the newer magneto that doesn't have the white wire on it and I was surprised to see that it came with the clutch removal tool. I've read on here that the first thing to do is open these up and clean them out, but it kinda looked like it was already done; even the inside of the tank was spotless. I upgraded to 1/4 20 bolts and locknuts on the rear wheel sprocket because I didn't want it coming off and put red loc-tite on the studs and nuts, but not the head bolts. So far it has been a really nice running, easy to start engine. Being I messed up the hub on the wheel of my bike trying to get the brake arm off, I'm using a 24" instead of a 26" and it's still easy to start and I can get up to 30mph, but I don't want to hold it for long. I'm almost through the second gallon of gas running at 16:1 and when it's gone I'll go to either 32 or 40:1 and a different spark plug. So far, the only issues have been with the tank studs leaking, and the muffler fell off. It broke right where the pipe is welded to the muffler body, so since I can't weld and don't know of anyone that can, I went and bought another muffler on eBay and it should be here tomorrow. I've tried getting my fiancee to ride it, but she can't stand the thing. She said she wants it gone, but will let me use it until I find a job. I'm keeping it either way because of how much fun it is. I get looks all the time and today I talking with a guy at the bank who left on a quadricycle that had a Harbor Freight engine spinning a 34" airplane prop, which is something that I haven't seen before, but it did work. So, I've had my share of little problems, but this getting this kit is probably the best decision of the year so far. Next is to get a proper 26" wheel and go from the 44 tooth to a 36 and see what happens.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Already had my first failure. I was riding and it felt like I was losing power and it started to stall at idle, but started right back up. Once I got home, I couldn't get it started again and it tested for no spark. Magneto tested with 0 ohms as did the cdi between both wires and both of the wires to the high-tension lead. Made my first order through Bike Berry and I even called about something and it went a lot smoother than I was expecting because of what I've read on here. They were also the cheapest on both of the parts and 2-day shipping.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Even though it's been awhile, this kit engine did get running again with a new mag, but the new cdi was bad and the original worked! I sold it to a friend of mine when I was out in Fort Meade that weekend. I have since gotten another and I think the quality has gone up. I ordered through Rose326a on ebay, and the tank this time around appears to have a coating on the inside. I don't know if it's just paint or an actual rust protectant, but it looks nice. I also learned how strong these are and I learned that the hard way. I don't know if I had left my tailgate down or if it didn't lock, but the last time it was in the back of my truck it went flying out the back into the road. No damage other than a bent rear wheel which I had to replace anyway due to bad bearings. The only real issue I'm having with this one is that the frame of the bike is too small. I'm using an old Murray Westport that has a 1" frame. I'm not sure of the year, but I would guess it's from the '70s. Either way, I've got about 250 miles on this one so far.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
Cool sounds like fun. My GF doesn't like the bike either...too bad.
Yeah. Her main thing is that there's a cop that lives around the corner that has been threatening to give me a $500 ticket because it's illegal to ride the thing, but he's never been on duty when he's yelled at me. But, I finally have written permission from an FHP officer that has shut him up for good and we're moving out of the neighborhood anyway. But also, the one that she tried out had v-brakes on it that didn't work and that kind is the worst things I've ever worked with. Caliper, coaster, or disc is the way to go from how I see it. The v-brakes needed constant adjustment; just about ever mile, sometimes every single time I used them. As long as I can do what I have to and be back before she gets home, she'll never know that it's even moved.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Yeah. Her main thing is that there's a cop that lives around the corner that has been threatening to give me a $500 ticket because it's illegal to ride the thing, but he's never been on duty when he's yelled at me. But, I finally have written permission from an FHP officer that has shut him up for good and we're moving out of the neighborhood anyway. But also, the one that she tried out had v-brakes on it that didn't work and that kind is the worst things I've ever worked with. Caliper, coaster, or disc is the way to go from how I see it. The v-brakes needed constant adjustment; just about ever mile, sometimes every single time I used them. As long as I can do what I have to and be back before she gets home, she'll never know that it's even moved.
Hi,
Not sure if you are up on the law in Florida, but its legal:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=55629

:)

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
not applicable to your ride, Just wondering what games you play on Steam livesteamfan, I'm {HK}Nightrider and play DoD LFD2, Just curious to see if we might have crossed paths lol.
I used to play on there, but it's been at least 3 or 4 years. I actually chose my user name because I'm into large scale model railroading and 9 times out of 10 in that hobby, if it looks like a steam engine, it is a real and fully functional steam locomotive. It's 1/8th scale with the gauge being 7.5" between the rails. Here's a link to the group I'm part of. http://www.floridalivesteamers.com/ I know there's not too much there, the website is mostly to convey information on get-togethers. The track I frequent the most is the Manatee Central since I'm in Manatee county, but I will travel to a couple others if I'm off work and can afford the gas since my truck only gets 20mpg in town (16 with a/c running) and tends to drop to 8 at 70mph; but for some reason it'll get about 25 at 90mph.