You guys scare me.

GoldenMotor.com

7t5

Aug 19, 2011
SE Michigan
If I had read all of the problems many of you have had with motor/bike installs, I never would have tried it. Thankfully, I had very few teething problems with my Cranbrook 2 stroke install.
1) I blew a head gasket after 150 miles (I did tighten it once after a couple hours of use. Now I check it nearly every day.)
2) My pedal crank was loose, but it was just not assembled well from the store.
3) Rear bearings were loose, also store assembly issue.
Otherwise, nothing too unusual. I put some grease on the motor gears to quiet them down. It now is much quieter. The petcock is a tiny bit weepy. (I can live with that.) I am really glad that I shortened the chain to avoid using the tensioner.

I am, however, having a complete blast. Mentally, I am planning my next build!dance1

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I don't know what you guys are talking about re "the store"

Most bikes are shipped fully assembled from the factory except for front wheel, seat and handlebars. My OP Roller from Wall Mart was. I picked it up in a sealed factory carton.

Any bad assembly that does not involve the handlebars or the pedals is from the factory.

7t5

Aug 19, 2011
SE Michigan
I would think that the people assembling would do some type of rudimentary inspection. Someone does the assembly. Factory? Store? Whatever. It was poorly done.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's Chinese, what did you expect?

How many Japanese engines blow their head gaskets in 150 miles?

Or have the studs fall out?

Or leak gas all over?

Or...

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Hang on there sports fan! You can't take the way they put bikes together at the factory as the proper way to assemble a bike. It takes a lot of work to get a bike from the box to a decent operating machine.

The first thing I would do is to take the wheels off and make sure the hubs were adjusted correctly and then true them. I usually had them true to the point were the seam from the rim was the farthest out of true that I would accept.

then I would check the frame and se if it was out of alinement and then go over the crank, brakes and derailleurs

then you had to "fit" the bike to the customer and make sure that the seat post, saddle, stem and bars were in the right hight and position for the rider. If you saddle is off by a quarter of an inch it can make a big difference in the comfort and efficiency of the ride. If your saddle is pointed five degrees off it can put your hands asleep or mess with your back.

Finally the bike will loosen up after the first few days of riding and need to be readjusted before it tares it self to bits.

When I ran my retail shop I figured I lost money on all of my new bikes because of the time and effort I had to put into them. But if I made the effort right I would have a customer for life. What I made money on was selling customers on things for their bike when they brought them in for there free tune-ups and I did a lot of repairs.

mike

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Sorry to hear about your issues buddy... everybody has a different experience with these things, some good, some bad. If you ask me, that's what makes it fun. All is well, best of luck. :)