rear sprocket orientation

GoldenMotor.com

stickerbush

Jun 22, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Most of the sprockets I've seen, including the one that came with the kit I purchased, have the teeth offset a few millimeters. Is just to allow some adjustment in aligning with the sprocket on the motor? Or is it designed to be installed with a particular orientation?

Thanks,
Stickerbush

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Kit installation manual tells you to mount the sprocket dish side out away from spokes but I have mounted it either way to allow for chain clearance issues...

aaroncooley1981

Jul 9, 2011
marshfield, mo
if there was a way to get threads on both sides of the hub you could do something that way, but i just figured i would make it permenant. the install kit on mine said to have the finished side out, i guess the bubbled part out.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There is a way to "get" threads on both sides of the hub - I have one of these hubs. They only work with pull start setups because of the direction the motor is turning the wheel. You cannot pedal start them.

The kit says to have the dished/chromed side out, which is convex when looking at it from the left of the bike. The kit says a lot of things...

Do what works is how these things are still running, surely not by following the manual.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
To the guy that welded his sprocket to the hub......sprockets are a wear item. After a certain amount of miles....sprockets wear out. When that happens.....it's gonna suck when you have to replace the entire wheel.

aaroncooley1981

Jul 9, 2011
marshfield, mo
im not too worried about it, cause i have a bike store that sells wheels for about 10 buck, so when it happens and it will, its not too big of a deal, but man the ride is so much better.