Clutch Assembly-Wrong cable supplied with kit?

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So after scratching my head and feeling that the clutch assembly just didn't seem right, I did a bit more researching and it seems to me that I was supplied the cable. Looks to be a throttle cable and it's too short. When I pull the actuator arm over to the cable, it's disengaged by about an 3/4". I actually have to apply pressure to the arm to meet the cable and there's no way to put the brass cable end on the cable. Also, notice the actuator arm isn't the typical straight unit. Anyone else have this?

I'm guessing a new cable is in order. I removed the adjuster nut/assembly on the lever to use the one supplied on the end of the cable. Knew then it
didn't seem right.

Clutch actuator arm hooked up to the cable. You can see that's actually being pulled a good 1/2"-3/4" to be able to hook to cable.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First of all that is NOT a clutch cable. There are no ends attached to the end where it pulls on the clutch arm. ChinaMart (WalMart) has a cable kit that has a long cable included in it (about $6.00) cut off the end and you will be able to slide on the adjuster clamp.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I knew it. Guess I have a back-up throttle cable set now...
We had to buy 2 sets as we were working on choppers and the cable needed to be longer. Now that you have a spare throttle cable you won't have a problem with the cable..at least that's the way it works with me. Only things I don't have spares seems to go bad. I had a spare electric rear window motor for a 1980 Bronco (had for 20 years)...never had a problem out of it. Bronco has long since gone.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Oh, trust me. I know! I had to early 90's Giant Iguana mt. bikes sitting in my garage for 8 yrs. Finally decided to throw them out. Then 2 months later, I get wrapped up in this hobby! I want those bikes back! So many donor parts and such. Oh well. Figures.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
That's a throttle cable. You can just use a smaller cable housing and use it though.

If you need donor bikes, hit up thrift shops! 15 - 20 bucks goes a long way in parts.