First Build walmart especial

GoldenMotor.com

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
Got the 29" Onyx cruiser from walmart:

I viewed the other threads of builds using this bike. Im in hawaii and rains much, so I think the friction drive would not be best.
The bike seems solid enough.

What are the areas I need to check before I throw a 4 stroke on it? what usually breaks on a weak cruiser with a chain drive?
Mahalo,
Mike

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Howziit Mike!

First thing to do is install a front brake. You can follow the other member and install caliper brake. You could also go banzai, install another 29" fork to accept a front disc brake.

You can also hang a caliper brake on the back wheel too.

Make really sure that your fenders are very secure.

Tires will depend upon which engine drive you choose. If friction drive, then rear tire must be smooth tread, not nobbies.

I'm in Honolulu and ride from Pearl City to Ala Moana Park.xct2

Where are you on Oahu?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
As it turns out, my wife and I moved here from O'ahu. ;)

On my build I scrapped the fenders and then also the chain guard. I couldn't get the fenders to stay straight so I pulled them off. Then I couldn't get the chain guard to stop rattling, so I pulled that off also. The other issues you're going to run into will be the 48 spoke wheels and the oversized tubes. These can be over come but it'll take some experimenting to get it right. That's why I went with the friction drive. It's not cheap, but it works. Pretty much a no brainer.

If you get a lot of rain must mean you're on the windward side? To be honest, I don't think that would be a major issue, but as we haven't had rain in over a month I can't say for sure.

Good luck with the traffic on O'ahu. I've been hit by a car there and have witnessed lots of accidents. Probably one of the most dangerous places to ride a bike IMO.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My dad just picked up the same bike to throw a motor at. There's a few threads on here with some issues on getting the big boy to work out with the kits. Good luck with the build!

Stinky Finger

Jul 26, 2010
Leicester, New York
That Onyx is a beautiful bike. Or should I say, "Yo Braddah dat Onyx da kine saweeeeeeet"!!!
I lived on O'ahu for three years in Kaneohe. In Hawai'i I think you guys have an advantage in that mopeds and scooters have been such a big part of everyday life there for so long that you will never have any trouble with the law hassling you.
Not so back here in the states. I can't remember how many times I was chased when I was a teenager on my YZ125 by the troopers. One of them even crossed a hay field behind me but had to stop when I crossed through a gap in a stone wall. Most of us didn't have cars in high school but just about everybody had a dirt bike or a Honda big red. Things haven't changed much except that the farm kids around here all have quads now. Still the same hassles with the law, chased and impounded.
As I get into this bike build I'm looking to end up with a bike that is as quiet and inconspicuous as possible, a total sleeper. At 43 I'm not as keen anymore at the idea of deeking through the corn to lose Deputy Fife.

Nice bike man, Hang Loose!

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
Right on, thanks for the welcome.

Yah stinky the cops is real lax on the north shore. seen pocketbikes atvs and everything in between on the bike path

First things first
ordered:

front and back caliper brakes from dans comp, will follow big kahunas install

Comfy seat from amazon. Headlight and blinking tailight from amazon

5-7, do you know anyone on island selling bicycle motor kits? Havent found any on craigslist either. Whats a good website to order from?

Kahuna where you stay now?

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
I vacationed at wrightsville beach growing up. Stayed a couple weeks at the blockade runner a few summers in a row.

Rented my first board there. Brought it back after three days of surfing alone. Waves were waist-head high and clean. Told the guy I thought I lucked out.

He said ya sure did, been alotta sharks around here lately, thats why no ones surfin.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
He said ya sure did, been alotta sharks around here lately, thats why no ones surfin.
Very true. I've seen more sharks here in one Summer than I did in 30 years of surfing on O'ahu, but I've also seen more fish and dolphins, too. Fortunately, the sharks here haven't acquired a taste for humans (yet) so they tend to just swim by.

ShredsDaily

Jun 12, 2011
Oahu
Yeh Im thinkin put a grubee skyhawk GT5 in there. no need to get fancy.

gasbike.net looks like a cheap price $149

anyone know of cheaper price?

WaterDries

Apr 5, 2011
Utah
It seems that gasbike.net has been getting poor reviews in the swap and shop section. I haven't used them so I can't say much about them. I did just buy a GT2B from bicycle-engines.com recently and it was on my doorstep within 3 days. It had a broken plastic carb shroud probably from shifting during transit and they sent a replacement via FedEx right away. Good experience with them.

I know I compared prices with all of the dealers and found a little variation but not much. I would have come out ahead if I had bought quickly from the highest price vendor and worked extra hours instead. Oh well. That's what the internet does to us.