clamshell sprocket adapters that will fit on smaller type hubs?

GoldenMotor.com

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
so i have tried pirate cycles, i tired sportsman, but all seem to have adapters that are only compatible with bigger sized hubs with the coaster brakes (cb110)

anyone know where i can find an adapter for smaller type hubs, just like a typical rear 26" mtb wheel?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I would write Pat or Pirate anyway, and just ask. Ask Jim or Pat if they, or somebody they know and trust, would be willing to do a one-off. You'll need, at the very least, an extremely accurate caliper to measure the diameter of your hub so they can machine the adapter correctly. Oh, - and don't expect a one-off to be cheap, from them it'll be GOOD though. But, yeah, I would ask. If they say no, you aren't out anything and can go on looking or forming other ideas.

cuberasnapper

Feb 22, 2011
Florida
i was wondering the same thing i have a freewheel back rim and v brakes but the hub is so small i realy would like to get an adapter for this wheel because its realy strong wheel and it was only 30 bucks at local bike shop even a pineapple adapter would b nice someone somewhere can make this happen but who and where are they.wee.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I think either BoyGoFast or LiveFastMotors sells an adapter that is good enough. I think you may have to buy their sprocket to make sure the bolt holes line up. A thirty dollar wheel, maybe that hub is not as strong for motorizing as the CB-E110. There might be a reason MM, Pirate, Pat, Kings and BlowByU don't offer an adapter for the wheel you describe. These guys know what they're doing and maybe there's something we're missing about the smaller adapter for the smaller hubs besides the measurements vary. Anyway, thankyou.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

FWIW - It would probably be difficult to make a "clam shell" type adapter for a hub that had a substantially smaller diameter than a coaster brake type hub because the clamping surface area would be greatly reduced (as the clamped surface area is reduced, the clamping pressure to needed to keep the assembly from rotating would have to be increased greatly to prevent slippage of the "clam shell" adapter)....

On the flip side, the clamp on the hub could be made wider to compensate for the decreased hub diameter BUT the material that you would have to start with ( to make the wider clamp) would cost substantially more and may end up being cost prohibitive when compared to a new wheel with a disc brake hub and Top Hat Sprocket Adapter.

Hope this helps to explain why it may not be practical to make an adapter the type of wheel you describe.

Andrew

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
What is the diameter of your hub?
I measured precisely with a caliper... the diameter of my hub is exactly 30mm... so maybe an adapter with a hole of 29mm or 28mm would be good? If anyone is able to make me one, please let me know, I am really in need of one...