OP Cruiser, first build

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Real nice drn2

Went out and got a fresh gallon as planned. Checked all the bolts and put 50 psi in the tires. Poured in some gas and opened the tank valve and one drip came out as expected. Opened the carb valve and the carb filled. Pushed the primer button and gas flowed. Set the choke and pedaled down the road.

Popped the clutch and gave it some gas and off we went. First time, no problems. Pushed choke off and kept motoring. Engine very responsive to throttle. Pulled in clutch and engine died. Set idle so engine didn't die and motored off again. Put a couple miles on around the tract and then it started to drizzle so I went home. Pulled me right up the driveway nice at low speed.

I think this thing will run at 5 MPH.

Yeah Baby! It LIVES!

After the drizzle dies down a bit, I'll take it out on the road.

I shut it down in the driveway put it up on the center stand and kick started it. I like it. I feel good. All my work with careful fitting was rewarded with a first clutch dump start.

I admit to having my doubts about these things, but they do work!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Put another 10 miles on it. Started right up like before, first clutch dump. Roads were a little damp, so my jacket has a stripe up the back.

I see what you guys are talking about re vibration. On this about 20 is all the faster I want to go. Vibes aren't bad at that speed, but it was a good thing I returned when I did. Another 5 miles and I would have lost the kickstand...

But all the other bolts are OK, so I need to locktite that kickstand bolt for sure.

I was concerned that it wouldn't run slow, but it seems to have no problem just ideling down the road.

These things are a kick and I am looking forward to build #2 with the friction drive on the back. I think that will be much more to my taste. Maybe put the Solex on this bike and sell the happy time. That might work out cool. A rear friction drive 4 stroke and a front friction drive 2 stroke.

Yeah, these things are fun!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Well, on the third ride I had my first "happy time"

As I was riding, the sound got louder and the thing started 4 stroking. So went home and found the back of the muffler was no longer there - laff

Well, I guess I'll order up a new muffler - laff

When it comes in I'm going to braze the cap on.

Happy Times

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Mine fell off two times and I ran over it both times. I finally made a modified muffler that's a lot more dependable.

Since this repair I increased the size of the bolts from 5/16" to 3/8".

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I checked and the nice EPA ones with the cat are $25. I really like the cat. This is the first 2 stroke I ever had that did not stink of unburned hydocarbons. But just if by chance...

I hopped on the scooter and retraced ny route and I found the thing in the road.

Yeah baby!

Am now going to braze it to the body and that will fix this permanantly.

Nope. Not ever doing another of these Grubee Tubees.

laff

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
What I saw when I got home

The muffler is still on there good, but the back of the grubee tubee isn't.

But now it's on forever.

I like my torch - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Oh, by the way, I am not going with this "restrictive muffler" stuff causing a loss of performance. I can tell you that when the cap fell off the sound got way louder and the engine ran like crap.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, could be.

I understand expansion pipes, they do work well. They are also loud but at least you get some performance for your pain.

This thing is a muffler and it works pretty good. I blew though it and it is restrictive, I could feel the pressure. That same pressure is what keeps the charge in the chamber I think, because the low speed torque fell way off as well as the high speed 4 stroking issue.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Ready to Rock!

All done. Lock mounted and I found a nice hang on handlebar basket. Ready to get some useful work done like minor grocery store runs and hardware store trips.

Got the little underseat bag for tools and small stuff and a cloth bag in the basket for the big stuff as well as a bungee net to make sure the stuff doesn't go bouncing out of the basket.

Now on to build #2 - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

Yeah, I am finally at the more fun than pain point where I am not scared to get more than 3 miles from home least I break down and have to pedal back.

It does look good. I liked them when I saw them here and you can't beat a hundred bucks with free shipping to the store. The steel wheel with the 12 g steel spokes and the 22 tooth cog was $65 for comparison.

It starts fast, idles nice, pulls good at low speed and doesn't vibrate as long as you keep it around 20. Which is my favorite speed so all is good - :)

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
^Is your chain rubbing the tire? Mine is. I'm wondering if I can't flip the sprocket around to cure it rather than using a narrower tire.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dish out, if it still hits I have heard you can add another rag joint between the sprocket and hub. You may need longer bolts.