Anyone have a surveillance system?

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Civil, You Can Hook A Solar Panel To Them. Is It A Infra Red Set Up?? I Thought The Infra Red Models Did Not Show Any Light!?? Life Is A Compromise! The "one Fit All" Is Not The Answer. Dam`it!! Lol. Another Good Thing, If Someone Is Lurking, The Lite Comes On, They Show Up Good In The Scope. Ron
Ain't that the truth.
My game camera is not the infra red. It only cost about 30 bucks. I got it a couple of years ago. Just something to be better than nothing until I can come up with a better plan. Thanks to you, I think I finally have that better plan.

Wow, that yellow sucks doesn't it.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had any prowler or thief problems but, like the old boy scout said, best to be prepared.

On the "ounce of prevention" side ... I bought a bunch of the fake security cams off ebay and installed them around the place in plain view. I usually mount them under a working security light and add a few "professional" touches, like obvious wires that lead to (empty) black boxes mounted beside them.

Also took some old rifle scopes and sawed them in half to get two "cameras" ... mounted the scope halfs high up near the garage roof peaks and added a few obvious wires ... they look like a real camera.

Like deer whistles mounted on car bumpers, I can't say for sure they work but so far I haven't hit any deer or had any burgler problems.
.sno.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
All My Tree Trucks Are Yellow, Military Surplus, One Gallon Of Color Mixed With One Gallon Of Hardner. Awsum Paint. OFF THREAD, BUT ITS COLD OUT SIDE! PICS OF MY RETIRED FAMILY! KIND A SAD! 4-5 YEARS AGO STORM IVAN PUT A MONSTER OAK ON THE PICKUP AND SMASHED IT FLAT. HAS A 460 CID ENG WITH HEADERS AND 3" STRAIGHT PIPES. C-6 WITH SHIFT KIT. WAS COMING BACK FROM OCALA ABOUT 9 YRS AGO, PULLING MY 18 FOOT JET BOAT , HAS A 460 CID MOTOR ALSO. PAST A SEMI TRUCK, I WAS GOING OVER 100 MPH, STATE COP IN FRONT OF HIM. HE GAVE ME A LECTURE, TOLD HIM I WAS RUNNING WITH TRAFFIC,TRYING TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE. HE STARTED LAUGHING, TOLD ME TO SLOW DN AND LET ME GO. IT WAS 10:30 PM. INTER STATE I-10. WHEN I WAS DRIVING THE PICKUP, I CALLED IT NASCAR 10!! I CAN DELETE THIS IF ANYONE THINKS I SHOULD. WARMING UP, MITE RIDE IN A BIT. RON
Wow Ron. If you had a truck that could haul a boat at over 100mph on that rough a$$ interstate, you are the man. I haven't been on I-10 in several years, but it was a rough ride then.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Mike, I agree with Ron. That is some creative stuff you came up with. I would not have thought of the scopes cut in two. I think I might have to put a gun on a moving track in front of a window or something. But I want it to be a real gun that I can control from a remote computer with the pan, tilt, and zoom functions.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Worked for an auction house and suddenly one of our better consigners started telling me about the days as a DEA agent. Local cops always came in to check for anything stolen but there was one who came in at odd times and gave me a real fish eye.
Kept working but the DEA agent started giving me the fish eye too.

Friends brother stopped by the house and said come with me some one wants to talk to you. He was the guys brother in law and head of the local drug task force.
Seems where I was working was a front for a major cocaine ring and there were more cameras on that building from every angle hidden in every thing from fake electrical boxes, to fake power transformers, to a cupola on a roof.

They had a step van that was supposed to be from the local cable company that they used to down load the images from the camera as the van sat near them.

I quit a few day later as they asked me to and went to another job. The door slammed shut a couple of months later.

Steve.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Cicilized, Maybe Not! Sold My Motor Cycle And Did A Big Tree Job To Cover Most Of It, And Made Some Pymts. 48 Footer, Sat In My Front Yard For 3 Yrs. Ron

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Any one look into the linux side of the cam systems?
I started out building a linux based computer for this purpose and ended up just buying a DVR system. I think my windows based computer experience told me to go a different route. :-||
Wouldn't want the system to act like my computer! I want it to work all of the time without rebooting.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I started out building a linux based computer for this purpose and ended up just buying a DVR system. I think my windows based computer experience told me to go a different route. :-||
Wouldn't want the system to act like my computer! I want it to work all of the time without rebooting.
I'm the manager of an apartment with 22 units, Rockvoice lives here too. We installed a four camera night/day system with a 24 hour DVR which holds info up to three weeks, then reboots itself. Works great and the picture is pretty clear. I would recommend at least three or more cameras for any application for complete surveilance. DVR is much easier to operate than applying system into your computer, my opinion. Good luck

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My Huper lab works great computer based is what mine is. Been running without a glitch for 5 years now on the last computer I put together for it . A gigabyte mother board is the stuff to use. I don't surf the web with it much , that's what Linux is for! At the time it was the best way to go to get real-time on the cameras. Apple and Linux don't complain!

Last edited: