Help with a cool project please.

GoldenMotor.com

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
With a bike that looks that cool I myself would only use creative eng. parts on it motor mount, sprocket hub adap, and manifold.

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
I've had this bike for almost 4 years and love it. But if I had it to do over and could have known I would want a motor, I would have bought this:

Nirve.com - Large Image

It is about the same price and already has good brakes. With the low-swooping rear frame, (where the rear tire goes), you wouldn't even need a chain roller/tensioner. You would probably have to make a special engine mount and modify the pipe though because of the super forward pedals. I could live with those mods I think.

Anybody ever motorized one of these?

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
I agree with CabinFever, DO NOT drill holes in your frame! You can buy exhaust clamps at your local auto parts store. Vice, hammer, and drill are the only tools you will need to shape a piece of steel to adapt your motor to your bike. Cool bike, I would do a Sick Bike parts shift kit and take advantage of the multi-speed hub. Never used one with internal geared hub but there is nothing like taking off from a stop light without pedal assist and shifting gears!

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
With a bike that looks that cool I myself would only use creative eng. parts on it motor mount, sprocket hub adap, and manifold.
I agree with CabinFever, DO NOT drill holes in your frame! You can buy exhaust clamps at your local auto parts store. Vice, hammer, and drill are the only tools you will need to shape a piece of steel to adapt your motor to your bike. Cool bike, I would do a Sick Bike parts shift kit and take advantage of the multi-speed hub. Never used one with internal geared hub but there is nothing like taking off from a stop light without pedal assist and shifting gears!
Thanks for the compliments on my bike, but the brake situation (see my 2 posts just before this one) really has me bummed. After surfing this forum really good I think decent brakes are essential and I want them. Engine mount + good brake setup + all the custom fabrication required to have it on this bike = an entire new bike with decent brakes and an engine kit.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about the jack shaft with the Nexus hub though, except for the added cost.

I think it will be much easier, faster, and cheaper just to get another bike and start from scratch. I'm now researchibg bikes to decide which will be cheaper, easier to mod, and will make a better total package. I already know it won't be nearly as cool though. :(

Ralph

Antihista

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL
well since no one pointed this out. I have a electra coaster,and so does my father and i am sure you have noticed our bikes have a min of a 6" stretch to them. drilling a aluminum frame is a big don't, you really want to isolate engine vibration's if you don't you WILL crack the frame. i would really recommend a rack mount engine. and as far as the nexus hub holding out i have already rebuilt my coaster brake hub twice with about 200 miles

Antihista

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL
RCinAL you are right in choosing a different bike the electras are really hard to mount a engine in them Jim's mounts will not work in the frame because they flex to much and WILL crack like i said a friction drive really would be your best option

RCinAL

Dec 27, 2009
Alabama
well since no one pointed this out. I have a electra coaster,and so does my father and i am sure you have noticed our bikes have a min of a 6" stretch to them. drilling a aluminum frame is a big don't, you really want to isolate engine vibration's if you don't you WILL crack the frame. i would really recommend a rack mount engine. and as far as the nexus hub holding out i have already rebuilt my coaster brake hub twice with about 200 miles
RCinAL you are right in choosing a different bike the electras are really hard to mount a engine in them Jim's mounts will not work in the frame because they flex to much and WILL crack like i said a friction drive really would be your best option
Thanks Antihista, I agree about the problems with this build too, but I wouldn't mount a ugly friction drive engine to this beautiful bike. I'll just keep it the way it is. I do want a bike with the low seat and forward pedals if possible though. I am now spoiled rotten on this comfortable set up. I'll just stick to the traditional drive system now that I have advice against using a jack shaft with the Nexus hub. It works fine for peddaling.

I did see a beautiful aluminum-framed Electra Coaster build on this forum. (yours?) It was silver and had what appeared to be the Manic Mechanic engine mount and looked totally trustworthy. It had an aluminum plate clamped between the rear frame rails with a skateboard wheel for a chain tensioner. I can't seem to find it now, but I was considering one just like it if I could figure out a way to put brakes up front. I think the Coaster is also offered in a steel framed version. That would probably be the one to get if front brakes are available. I'll be dropping by my local dealer to inquire about this.

A friend of mine has a 2009 aluminum-framed Coaster with a springer front end that is motorized. He has a old, German-made Sachs rear hub gasoline engine on it. It is pretty cool. He has no front brake but his engine is small and only goes about 15 MPH so he doesn't worry about it. With a 69cc engine I definitely have decided I want good brakes.

Ralph

Antihista

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL
both of the electra aluminum coasters that you saw belong to me and my dad, the aluminum mount from jim broke on both bikes. but jim's rear sproket and hub adapter are really nice and i would definably recommended that