Why A Motorized Bicycle and NOT a Moped?

GoldenMotor.com

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
First let's establish what I mean by a moped. I am not talking about a scooter but a factory created vehicle with both an engine and pedals-- Think Puch and Motobecane.

Like the following:

There's a huge market and community for the major moped brands.

*** I do NOT have to register either 1 or have insurance as long as they are under 50cc***

I want to figure out the following:
I'm trying to figure out if I should go the moped route or the motorized bicycle route:

(1) I think that Mopeds have better engines and greater power potential without having to do a ton of engineering. But they are super TINY.

(2) With a motorized bicycle it seems like you get something bigger and far more comfortable. It also seems inexpensive.

What I Will Likely Do:
I might do both because I'm picking up a Puch frame on Monday just because it is so cheap and still build a MB. I can also get a Motobecane that isn't running for $200 but I've read that they are a pain to wrench on but once you replace the weak points of its electric system that they are reliable. I will likely go the Puch route or both.

Pros & Cons That I have missed?
Any pros and cons that you guys can think of? Ultimately, I don't think it is a versus thing but a why not have both. My biggest issues is what to get started on.

My Intended Use:
Whatever I build will be used for minor transportation-- To Starbucks, to the mom & Pop store, to visit friends near me but never over 7 miles-12 miles and mostly for recreation.

Last edited:

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
MB pros: No registration fees in most states.
Very lightweight and versatile, you can take them on trails and the handling is excellent. You can lift one over any fence or into your truck.
If you build your own MB you can get a very powerful motor like a 79cc predator. If not, well you'll be mixing gas and won't have a powerful motor without modifications, which ARE fun to do.

Mopeds and MBs are both easy to work on, but MBs are easier by far.

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
MB pros: No registration fees in most states.
Very lightweight and versatile, you can take them on trails and the handling is excellent. You can lift one over any fence or into your truck.
If you build your own MB you can get a very powerful motor like a 79cc predator. If not, well you'll be mixing gas and won't have a powerful motor without modifications, which ARE fun to do.

Mopeds and MBs are both easy to work on, but MBs are easier by far.
I wouldn't have to register either as long as they are under 50cc. I've thought about going the 79cc Predator route but it seems a bit more involved than just throwing a 2 stroker in. It will deliver the best 'out the box' performance. The question then becomes which steel frame-- I want to go for more of a brat bike, racer look with a motorcycle gas tank.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Label the predator 49cc, hehe. It is definitely involved but helps you so much in the long run. I'm building a steel mountain bike with a 79cc now, I started a build thread too. Go for a vintage steel cruiser, and put mountain bike parts on it. There are some sweet bikes here, check out scotto's.
You can get a 4 stroke kit for $250. I'm building my 79cc bike for $450 total, but I'm thrifty and I made some parts myself. Also the bike was free.

And hey, if you can get a moped for less than that and you don't need to register a moped in your state, either way is really fine. MBs are a really fun project and they do get better gas mileage. They're also unique and one if a kind if you build it right, "a real conversation piece".

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
Yeah I've been meaning to start for a year! My goal is to choose my powerplant and buy it on monday and just jump in finally. I originally wanted to build off a Micargi Slugo frame and I still might with the predator. You have talked me into it!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If the legality is not an issue I would look at the moped. Do a google search for cafe style mopeds to get some ideas of what you can do.

Once you get the bug you'll probably want both anyway.

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
If the legality is not an issue I would look at the moped. Do a google search for cafe style mopeds to get some ideas of what you can do.

Once you get the bug you'll probably want both anyway.
I definitely have the moped bug. I just spent my lunch looking at all the custom stuff ppl do. I now might end up doing the moped first and then the MB second. I was just looking at the big bore kits they have for Puchs-- good stuff.

I'll make my decision by Monday!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I wouldn't have to register either as long as they are under 50cc. I've thought about going the 79cc Predator route but it seems a bit more involved than just throwing a 2 stroker in. It will deliver the best 'out the box' performance. The question then becomes which steel frame-- I want to go for more of a brat bike, racer look with a motorcycle gas tank.
If you just throw a 2 stroke engine kit on a bicycle, I can guarantee that the out of box performance will be mcuh ****tier than if you built a 79cc predator bike.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Agreed by far. Seems like I got him to like the predator, which will last practically forever.
Custom?
That's all MBs are about!
In fact,
Everything is much more custom than any puch will ever be!

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
Yeah for a MB the predator is now my only choice but I'm going to build a Puch first with a 74cc kit. There are ppl getting 50-68mph from these.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

(Say it in your best 'Bastun' voice......)

JFK .flg.

Reactions: Bobalou

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
China Girl build- HALF the weight, or LESS of a moped- better turning, turn-around radius

Pedals much easier- especially with 700c wheels-

I LOVE the clutch start- because I can kill the motor and coast a HALF A MILE when at speed- and I can shut down near a store a park or in a parking lot and have an easy pedal.

If the motor breaks down- I can get a replacement UNDER 100 or a whole kit for barely OVER $100.

Moped Plus- Mopeds are QUIETER, unless you have a long poo poo pipe, and then you can get a sound not much noisier than moped.

Reactions: RickeyH

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Personally it was the joy of making my own creation. Also my bike shifts gears automatically. With a 50 cc limit, automatic transmission requirement and steep hills large people need gears. I couldn't find a 50 cc moped that shifts gears automatically. I often pass mopeds struggling to get up the many 20%+ grade hills here in Tennessee.

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
Yep, Chaz. My plans are to do both. MB are just too nice. I just saw this really cool Micargi Huntington MB that has a nice simple old school skinny classic motorcycle look without being a BTR but with more of a look of a standard. I'm tempted to build a MB first now but still pick up the Moped frame on Monday and save it for this summer. I'm getting the Moped frame no matter what so it will always be an option.

I like the Mopeds because everything is sort of laid out perfectly for you-- Go to this shop, you buy 1 of 3 kits, your wheel choices are XYZ, here's the clutch and the crankshaft that everyone uses-- Build it and come ride with the hipster people in their 20s, 30s--50s who meet at the Pizza shop in the newly hipster occupied area of time for a Sunday afternoon ride! LOL

With a MB you get to seem to make more choices-- engine, shifter kit, frame, your tire/wheel choices are greater-- It is a bit more overwhelming but ultimately I think you end up with something really cool, that is visible in traffic (mopeds are so tiny), that looks like a grown up toy!

But yeah life is about creating, building, breaking stuff and going fast!

I wish that there were more 2 stroke options for MB, big bore kits, maybe a 70cc or a REAL 80cc.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I say do the moped. Building a motorized bike is like reinventing the wheel. Only thing for me is I don't like the look of mopeds much. Prefer the vintage motorcycle look. Best setup probably be a motorized bike with all the moped parts on it.

Mikey_

May 15, 2016
GA
I say do the moped. Building a motorized bike is like reinventing the wheel. Only thing for me is I don't like the look of mopeds much. Prefer the vintage motorcycle look. Best setup probably be a motorized bike with all the moped parts on it.
I just hate how small mopeds are. I want to go for this look: