1916 Powell Build Thread

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
Well here goes nothing! I am officially starting a build thread so I guess that means I am officially starting a build. I joined here a couple of years ago intending to build something resembling a late teens or early 20s vintage motorcycle. I have long admired these bikes but origonal examples are simply unattainable for a fella in my income bracket.

I have been collecting parts for a while. My bike is going to be powered by a 1958 vintage Wisconsin BKND 7 hp military with waterproof ignition. I have already started modifying the engine to appear earlier and I will be sure to post some photographs soon. The transmission will be a Commit clutch with 10% overdrive and brakes will come courtesy of a drum front hub and a drum rear hub from a Puch moped.

I have a pair of wheels robed from a Huffy Cranbrook. They are 36 " 36 spoke. I recently went and purchased some stainless spokes from a local guy who does this. He sold me spokes to do a 4 cross pattern. However I can find no details on lacing a 4 cross pattern on the web. Can anyone help me out with this as I would realy like to lace these suckers myself. I have not as yet laced a wheel but have replaced spokes and trued wheels since I was a teenager.

Thanks!

Mike brnot

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The art of Wheelbuilding...........Gerd Schraner...Shows a lot of different ones and how to dish out the hubs for different app's. really indepth......Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Good, i lent mine out over a year ago, and haven't got it back yet,but that's ok as really don't need it anymore. They are about $12 on Amozon.

Good luck on your wheels and Build. Love to watch and learn anything new,and helpfull.Is the 4x stronger?...........Curt

Jul 23, 2012
The gentleman I got my spokes from is a wheel builder. He is the one who told me to use a 4x pattern. After doing a lot of searching on the net I discovered it is stronger than the 3x which is very common on bikes. Apparently because the spokes leave the hub at a nearly tangent line it places the load of the spoke in the side of the spoke hole, not toward the outside edge of the hub flange where there is less metal. Not only does it hold stronger in the hub. It is also claimed to be more resistant to twisting forces. I once got a pedal bike up to 60mph on a down hill run. The gyroscopic effect made the wheel feel like mush as I tried to turn the bars while keeping the bike on the road. I thought for sure I had loose spokes in the front whee! After stopping, I checked the wheel only to find the spokes were all tight. With a 7 HP engine And an overdrive clutch, 50-60 mph is a possibility and I want this thing to be as safe as possible.

Thanks Again!

Mike brnot

Jul 23, 2012
It has been a year since I last posted. I have had lots of life gets in the way moments. However I finally got some work done.

I was having some problems figuring out how to lace the wheels. I wanted to use a 4 cross pattern. I looked all over the internet and I could not find any info on the 4X pattern. I also looked for the book that was recommend. It was not available anywhere in the Ohio Library system. I am not a big fan of buying books for only a few bits of info. So I watched a couple of you tube tutorials on the 3X pattern. I decided that it must be exactly the same with one exception. When crossing the spokes, instead of crossing 3 spokes it must cross 4. So I laced the second half of the spokes crossing over the first 3 and behind the 4th. It worked perfectly! My first attempt yielded a very nice wheel.

I am very proud of these wheels. It is the first time I have ever built a wheel. I had fixed and trued many wheels as a kid, but never built one before.

I got a pair of cream tires of of E Bay. I think they look perfect!

Mike brnot