48cc beach cruiser won't start problems

GoldenMotor.com

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Alright I will give it a test drive. I just thought I needed to see the fuel lines full befor trying to drive it but I pushed in the little nob that let's gas in the carb to start it for the first time in a while and after doing the run up

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
First check all the connections from the magnito to the cdi, then remove the spark plug and lay it on the head with the wire connected, now push the bike around with the clutch out and look/listen for firing. Try a different plug also, if still nothing I would start with the magnito coil first.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
You didn't mention if you're using fresh gas and what mix you are using. If you have old gas in there then that will likely be at least a part of the problem in starting up.

You said you have spark so let's assume that is fine for the moment. Did you re-torque the head and did that fix the gap? If that's fixed then re-gap the plug down to 022 and try to re-start. Try with the choke on and off and somewhere in the middle. Choke on is lever up.

Like Greg said, try a better spark plug.

And yes, you may have to peddle a while to get it to fire up. Let's say around ten miles per hour

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
First check all the connections from the magnito to the cdi, then remove the spark plug and lay it on the head with the wire connected, now push the bike around with the clutch out and look/listen for firing. Try a different plug also, if still nothing I would start with the magnito coil first.
is this to check for spark? I replaced the sparkplug with a new one even tho the old one still showed some spark when pushing the bike with spark plug out and touching the head. Still didn't start. Could it be the magneto? can you check the magneto with a meter?

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
You didn't mention if you're using fresh gas and what mix you are using. If you have old gas in there then that will likely be at least a part of the problem in starting up.

You said you have spark so let's assume that is fine for the moment. Did you re-torque the head and did that fix the gap? If that's fixed then re-gap the plug down to 022 and try to re-start. Try with the choke on and off and somewhere in the middle. Choke on is lever up.

Like Greg said, try a better spark plug.

And yes, you may have to peddle a while to get it to fire up. Let's say around ten miles per hour
I used 16;1 2 stroke oil. Says 8oz per gal.
I bought a new spark plug but no start. I peddle pretty fast and for about 10 mins and still no start. Didn't hear a thing.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
I also wanted to ask if there is anyway I can fix crooked sprocket on my rear tire? The rim and the metal sprocket are crooked so it makes the chain rub on the tire. Can I bend the sprocket spraight with a hammer or do I need a new one?

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Ok, that mix is way too heavy. Add gas to make it 32:1 and I hope you're using fresh gas.

Did the re-torque close the gap on the head gasket? If that leaks even a little it makes it very hard to start.

There is away to test the magneto but try the other stuff first. If you can see a spark in the daylight then you probably have enough to get it started.

And it sounds like you're doing enough pedalling.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
It is more likely that the sprocket is just not running true. It would take a very strange accident to bend that sprocket.

You can adjust the spokes and the sprocket bolts to fix the wobble in the wheel but if the rim is dented you will probably have to replace it.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Ok, that mix is way too heavy. Add gas to make it 32:1 and I hope you're using fresh gas.

Did the re-torque close the gap on the head gasket? If that leaks even a little it makes it very hard to start.

There is away to test the magneto but try the other stuff first. If you can see a spark in the daylight then you probably have enough to get it started.

And it sounds like you're doing enough pedalling.
Yes it's fresh gas just bought a week ago. And I will add some more gas now, how much more gas for a gal with 8oz of 16;1? Also where would my c-clip have to be on slide needle after adding more gas To make less heavy? Right now it's at the second to last slot.

About the head, I don't have the torque tool anymore so I just tightend each bolt have a turn tiger and it seems to closed the gap. I will take amother pic.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Try starting the bike with the choke on, if it doesn't start remove the plug and see if its wet with fuel to be sure fuel is reaching the cylinder. Another thought, what is the temperature there? One of my bikes will not start if it's cold, anything below 35° and it won't start. There's nothing wrong with mine, its just too cold for the small firing system to ignite. Geographicly you are farther north than me I was just wondering.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Another thing, you said it has compression but how much? They vary greatly but anything over 70 psi should start. If you have access to a gauge that would rule out a head gasket leak.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
I took pictures off two sides of the head where the metal gasket is after I tightend the bolts half a turn more to see if that would fix any gap. Does anyone see a gap or can anyone tell me if my gasket needs a replacement?

http://rs1178.pbsrc.com/albums/x362/sergio142/Mobile Uploads/20160303_135035.jpg~c200

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/sergio142/media/Mobile Uploads/20160303_135035.jpg.html?filters[user]=121494340&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=4

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/sergio142/media/Mobile Uploads/20160302_145531.jpg.html?filters[user]=121494340&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6
http://rs1178.pbsrc.com/albums/x362...oads/20160302_145741.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Last edited:

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Another thing, you said it has compression but how much? They vary greatly but anything over 70 psi should start. If you have access to a gauge that would rule out a head gasket leak.
How do I check compression? What kind of gauge? I don't get what you mean by a Guage would rule out a head gasket leak? It fixes a gasket leak or just a test for a gasket leak?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A compression gauge hose screws in the head, the gauge is on the other end to indicate the pressure when turning the engine over. It will tell if you have a leak not repair it.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Try starting the bike with the choke on, if it doesn't start remove the plug and see if its wet with fuel to be sure fuel is reaching the cylinder
I haven't token it out today yet but yesterday around 8pm I tried starting it but didn't start, I just now removed the spark plug and it is very dry looks like nothing has touched the spark plug. What does it mean if the spark plug is dry?
it's like 60 degreesn F.
Here's a pic if the spark plug
http://rs1178.pbsrc.com/albums/x362/sergio142/Mobile Uploads/1457043357920769449100.jpg~c200

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yes, but try the starting I posted earlier, fuel evaporates rapidly so just because you have a dry plug now doesn't mean its not getting fuel. Remove the plug as soon as possible to check.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
It is more likely that the sprocket is just not running true. It would take a very strange accident to bend that sprocket.

You can adjust the spokes and the sprocket bolts to fix the wobble in the wheel but if the rim is dented you will probably have to replace it

So it could just the rim that crooked? So if I changed the rim it should run straight? The bike hasn't been in any major accident so the sprocket should be fine it must be just the rim thats crooked?