Caoboy's Huffy cruiser build

GoldenMotor.com

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
The motor is too tall...rather the frame's downtube is at too much of an angle. Had it a 'hoop' like how a lot of older bikes have on the downtube, I would be able to fit it no problem..seat post tube-wise, it had enough clearance as far as we thought...

I think the best solution would be to just buy a new bike.

I still think I'll make the tank...it just won't be an in frame tank. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to modify the tank to fit the next bike.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Do what Tom said bring the motor with you or lay it down and trace it. Bring the outline with you if you don't want to carry the motor. The simplest frame would be a v frame next cruiser like you were talking about. Just might need large tube adapter.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Can't say about the no name 'beach cruiser' but if you type Genesis Onyx29er into the search box I'm sure you'll see many references to that particular bike which has been motorized here several times by members.

Good luck.

Tom

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Can't say about the no name 'beach cruiser' but if you type Genesis Onyx29er into the search box I'm sure you'll see many references to that particular bike which has been motorized here several times by members.

Good luck.

Tom
The no name I found out is an Ocean Pacific...looks like an old walmart model or something.

If I get the funds together before that onyx gets sold I'll test it out. It'd be fun to ride around with ape hangers.

jackal86

Apr 9, 2015
Austin, TX
Aw man. I've been silently following this build and was excited to see what that bike would look like with a motor and smaller wheels. Very disappointing! But that's the nature of our hobby. You seem like an intelligent builder and I'm sure you'll figure something out.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I would get a hacksaw and cut that bar out. Problem solved. The motor in there will do the same thing that bar is. I'm not saying that's what you should do just what I would do.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would get a hacksaw and cut that bar out. Problem solved. The motor in there will do the same thing that bar is. I'm not saying that's what you should do just what I would do.
Sorry, Kev, but I strongly disagree with this advice. No matter if you do it or someone else. Removing a main structural member of a bicycle frame can be potentially dangerous.

Relying on the engine to replace a frame tube is not good engineering practice either. We've all seen photos of broken engine mounts and cracked engine cases. Do you really want to trust your body to that?

Please be careful.

Tom

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
See that's the thing Tom...

I don't think it's a main structural bar. Now I'm not a structural engineer or anything..but this bar is smaller than the top tube, which, to me, seems the structural bar. This seems more decoration than anything...

But again, not going to cut anything, can't sell a broken bike!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
See that's the thing Tom...

I don't think it's a main structural bar. Now I'm not a structural engineer or anything..but this bar is smaller than the top tube, which, to me, seems the structural bar. This seems more decoration than anything...

But again, not going to cut anything, can't sell a broken bike!
One question: What's the wall thickness of the top tube? Is it the same as the rest of the frame or did the frame designer make it thinner and relied on the seconday bar to add strength?
The answer would determine if it is a "main structural member" that would need to be cut.

Tom

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
but its not a main structural part of the frame its an extra bar between the down tube and the seat tube. I looked at pictures of the bike before I commented. But if you can afford a better bike I wouldn't use a huffy anyway.

Last edited:

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
but its not a main structural part of the frame its an extra bar between the down tube and the seat tube. I looked at pictures of the bike before I commented. But if you can afford a better bike I wouldn't use a huffy anyway.
Aside from the rear wheel, hub, bottom bracket /bearings and the steering tube bearings, its a good bike! ;)

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
I also forgot about this little gem that I fixed.

My brother hooked it up with his old one. He had forgotten to loctite the allen head bolts and they backed out on him...luckily it was only at a few mph.

Buuttt...a little tap and die magic and those threads were chased/cleaned and the end of the threading was recut a bit to fix some of the damage that happened when the bolts wobbled out.

My bro ordered a new sprocket/adapter with a lesser tooth count...so he wasn't going to use this anyways...might as well use it!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Aside from the rear wheel, hub, bottom bracket /bearings and the steering tube bearings, its a good bike! ;)
Hehehe, and ya, hack that Huffy frame up too!

Look, a bicycle sold in the Toy isle of Wallyworld is just that, something you hope will last the kid at least until to next Christmas.

Put a motor on it and you cut that year to ~month.

The question you have to ask yourself is how safe and reliable do you want?
It all starts with the bicycle.

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/