Dax Titan XC50s maintenance

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Hey guys. Thought i'd make a thread. I have three of these engines from Duane(the Dax guy) and they run good even after all these years. The one on Cronus has been off and on lately,starting when it wants to,so I decided to do a little maintenance on it.
First off,at NAPA they carry wire core spark plug wire. The one in my store carries black,blue and yellow. I bought 3 feet of the yellow,three spark plug holders and three boots.
The counter guy says these wires are popular with the Harley crowd.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Well I found my problem.
Many years back I was hit by a deaf driver making a right turn and didn't see me on his right. Cronus came down hard.
It sat for many years collecting dust and I brought it back to life recently after cleaning out the carb and stuff.
If you look at the lower bolt that mounts the coil you might see where it broke off the block. It's hard to see in this pic but trust me. That top bolt is the only thing holding the coil.
Engine still runs as long as I tighten down the nut but the pull cord is attached to this so it can shift thereby upsetting the timing thereby it starts only when it's aligned right.
I'll figure out a fix for this.
I may just use my other engine till I get this figured out.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Some pics of the original wire. It's also a wire core wire.
I could have simply changed the boot on this wire and it would have been good but I like yellow.
Yellow rules lol.
At least now I know if I'm far from home and it doesn't start,just fiddle with that bottom bolt a little till the coil is at the right spot lol.
There has to be a simple fix to this.
Maybe even JB weld because it's a small area.
And it will set right because once bolted up it stays put when curing.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
just watched some youtube videos about that, you need a special gauge to slip between the vavles and rockers to check clearance. other than that it appears to be simple as pie (you will need some liquid gasket for when you put the vavle cover back too)

I agree the yellow wires look cool. you might be able to get the magneto mount fixed with a spot weld. JB weld might not be strong enough to hold down the pull starter cover. thats said if you use JB weld and it holds the magneto well you could just remove the pull starter unit entirely and just carry the handle and rope around with you. you may have to replace the pall from the end of the crankshaft with a oulley wheel, but you will definately score some cool points doing it that way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Large,
I have a couple of used case halves if you'd like to have one. Let me know when you're going to Duane's and I'll bring what you need.

Tom