Looking for a good carb

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Pretty sure I am part Rebel in that regard. Mebbe a Rebel with out a clue? I just know I got to keep moving! There are those scary conditions in life that get all our attention. Almost like when papa gets the belt.lol Ain't it always that way??:D

I try to use my secrete super sofa powers for good!

lol.......!

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sad, but true......many people go through life wanting others to tell them what to do/get. This way, there's someone else to blame if it doesn't work out for them.

This isn't directed towards anyone here, but it is one of my observances in life.
im with you on this one, and some of it comes from an extreme case of insecurity for whatever reason.

im against self asteem, but Im all for Faith, hope and having a humble confidence in ones ability and desire to always be better and do better by ones self and the others around you.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
So reading on this forum, seems like the NT is a good carb for STOCK engines, however, I may be wrong but I would consider my engine heavily modified.

-Stock bottom end
- Ported and decked cylinder
- torquer pipe from arrow
- fred head
- boost intake from fred
-piston cut

So, AFTER BREAK IN, I want to get a better carb. I live at 6,500 ft above sea level. I preferably want something thats very easily tunable and adjusted, but am leaning against walbro because I would have to take off my fred intake. If I could just slap it on the fred intake (which is stock size diameter), that would be best. Thoughts? (Note: I'm willing to drop the money on something pricey)
I may just have a carby for you already tuned for your elevation. Got to see If my friend wants to sell his 19mm carby? It has a custom intake made for the stock jug to a fairly good science. I have a spare 19mm Dellorto to. As for jetting it I can get you pretty close. Reason I think so is because I too am at the very same said same elevation!!

PM me and I will look into it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
So to sum things up. I got a personal observation. My very first HT did 46 mph one day as a stock engine, NT carby with very mild porting at high elevation. The jug wore out and I never could blow that motor up. It took it forever to get to that speed. Guess I could call that a real hot rod lol? This of course means I still have it. I wanna say Map I can't help but feel like you detuned your H.T. That is a whole lot of modifications for such a ''small return'' IME?

The next H.T. motor I will not be playing around. Now that is real a pun.laff

Seriously I read about all this stuff constantly..

I see no reason a motor with good bearings cannot take it? Only reason a lot of my friends and acquaintances blew their motors up was because they did not head my recommendations. You already found bearings your self. Thanks for those links by the way.

What did you think of your motion industry bearing?

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
So to sum things up. I got a personal observation. My very first HT did 46 mph one day as a stock engine, NT carby with very mild porting at high elevation. The jug wore out and I never could blow that motor up. It took it forever to get to that speed. Guess I could call that a real hot rod lol? This of course means I still have it. I wanna say Map I can't help but feel like you detuned your H.T. That is a whole lot of modifications for such a ''small return'' IME?

The next H.T. motor I will not be playing around. Now that is real a pun.laff

Seriously I read about all this stuff constantly..
I see no reason a motor with good bearings cannot take it? Only reason a lot of my friends and acquaintances blew their motors up was because they did not head my recommendations. You already found bearings your self. Thanks for those links by the way.

What did you think of your motion industry bearing?
I have not had any problems with the motion industries bearings, they have held up good, not a single failure, lately I have been ordering my upper bearings from www.bearingsdirect.com

that is what ai have been running in the dax lower builds and after a few hundred miles of hard high rpm running they look good as new when I have pulled a top off one of the engines for whatever reason, I feel confident in either of them, only problem I seem to have possibly had lately was with the 6202 main bearings in one of the engines, at least I think that is my trouble, I wont know for sure until I get the engine tore down but it has developed about 3/16" side to side in play in the crank and Im thinking a crank bearing may have tried to seize and possible spun in the case causing the outter bearing race to chew I to case allowing the bearing to shift outward away fom the crankshaft and cause this serious in play issue, I could also be that the bearing was just a loose fit from the very beginning and maybe this was just a problem destined to happen with that particular engine, When I have time to mess with it Ill get it tore down and Ill find out what is going on in there, im sure the problem will be very obviouse once I get the case split.

I may be to blame for the whole thing, this was an experimental engine as far as the piston mods I did to it and the fact that it had a really tight spot in it when the crank was rotated makes me think that there was already a bearing broplem in this engine from the very start, that concerned me but I didnt take the time to go into it to see why the rotaing of the crank was not consistantly smooth. may not have been my fault based on that situation but it is what it is now, Ive already ordered anothe dax lower to replace it which will be built up for a replacement on one of my other bikes most likely.

at some point Im sure wanting to see if I can make a PZ19 carb run on a HT engine, Ill have to make an intake for it and who knos where I would need to start with the jetting but I may tinker with that when I can on one of these little China gals.

map

Last edited:

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
After 6 months on the stock Happy time carb I upgraded to the Dax RT carb package. I'm happy with the results thus far. I got an assortment of jets with it, long story short, I ended up using the #65 jet. I will probably use some of the way-large jets to solder up and size as needed if plug chops indicate a rich/lean condition.
This is on an otherwise bone stock dax gen IV motor, running about 80-1 with opti-2 oil. The 65 seemed small, but the 80-1 mix seems to require a jet on the small side of the range.

I must say. It pulls clean, all the way to 30+ mph! Such a difference in throttle response, no 4-stroking patches anymore, and a solid idle that doesn't wander.
I havent tested long term wotand top speed yet, I want to get some IR head temp readings and more plug chops before I push it too hard.
I consider this carb money well spent. Now I just need to settle on which exhaust to upgrade to.
Fact is I have multiple motorcycles including a 1000cc sportbike, and a turbo compact sedan that makes about 400+hp, but I look forward to riding the MB whenever I can!
What's wrong with me?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I just keep thinking about the poor OP. He's probably gone to e-bikes by now :)

Tom
or made an order today on www.scooterdepot.com and just said to heck with all this mess, so many conflicting opinions and not much progress..... im outta here Bub....!

Lol I still firmly stand on the " keep it simple stupidddddd...." thought process for noobs on here, high performance options have their place but should be left out of the discussions when someone is clearly a complete beginner to these little engines, the hint should be clearly taken by the type auestions that are ask, and these new members should not be unfairly bombarded with a pile of high tech or high performance options when they clearly arw struggling to figure out how to even simy get the bike running, I just dont know why its so hard for some people to figure this concept out, makes me wonder sometime if its more to do with some wanting to put themselves up as a leader of the pack or want to proclaim that they have the superior opinion on all things china girl and think if it doesnt have a butnload of mods to it it aint worth having....

I just tey to keep it simple and as easy to understand as possible, people need to learn to crawl before they walk and run.

its like taking the test before you study the book, odds are you gonna fail because you're not prepared, same goes with these little engines, failure or success has more to do with understanding than it does with learning procedures.

map

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Tom, what kind of carb would you recommend for an e-bike? Wanna make sure to get a good one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oh, yeah, and a carb that you don't glue on with JB Weld, and doesn't require a boost bottle. Other than those things, about any carburetor will work just fine.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I have zero experience with e-bikes except for what I read here. My guess would be something that doesn't use the white wire.

Tom
Oh, yeah, and a carb that you don't glue on with JB Weld, and doesn't require a boost bottle. Other than those things, about any carburetor will work just fine.

Tom
ill ha e to agree with you on that for sure.... no wasted $'s on hoax bottles or special snake oil glue...

Man.........I feel like a kid that got a used pair of socks from Santa.......

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
The stock carb won't fail you on a desert road. If it does, you can fix it with your fingers.

SHA 15mm is a nice carb, but much more complicated (still simple) than the NT carb that we all get with these crapshoot kits. Even the "speed carb" is no different to me.