Cheesy plastic cover on hs 142 really bothers me....

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Has anyone made a decent looking cover for the right side of the hs 142???
The stock one makes it look like a prtable generator on your bike....

Does it serve any purpose other than keeping your pants from getting caught in the flywheel???

Gotta be a way to make it look better.........

Just sayin......

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Has anyone made a decent looking cover for the right side of the hs 142???
The stock one makes it look like a prtable generator on your bike....

Does it serve any purpose other than keeping your pants from getting caught in the flywheel???

Gotta be a way to make it look better.........

Just sayin......
Silverbear made a nice cover out of a #10 can.....or you could just remove it and risk a little injury.

The purpose it serves is the cooling of the engine....

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The cheesey cover is actually a blower housing that directs the air sucked into the intake (vents around pull starter) over the cooling fins on the cylinder. In stationary apps (what it was designed for) the motor would cook w/o the shroud.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Sorry I thought borntofli was talking about the cheesy plastic cover on the transmision side of the engine. As you can see the time of my post, I probably had a few to many beers under my belt. so my bad!

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Sorry but you do need that cheesy plastic shroud for proper air flow around the engine to cool it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry but you do need that cheesy plastic shroud for proper air flow around the engine to cool it.
Yes and no. As an industrial motor sitting in one spot, perhaps inside a shed in Tucson Arizona... yes, you need it. As a bike motor being cooled by the air you are riding through you don't. Mine never over heated, never came close.
SB

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Removing it or modifying the engine's designed cooling system in any way voids the warranty. While removing it may work for some for others it may not.

Also, each setup is different and operates under different circumstances. For instance, I have mine set up with a shift kit with a low gear near 39 to 1 so I can climb 11%+ grade dirt roads in my area. Such high rpms at low speeds may not be enough to keep the engine (specifically the valves) cool enough due to inadequate air flow around the cooling fins. there are times when I've ridden 30 mph with a 30 mph tail wind too. The engine had higher RPMs with significantly reduced load on it with near stagnant air around the cylinder.

You can't compare the 4 cycle air cooling to the 2 cycle air cooling because the design is too different. sure they have cooling fins on both but the fins on the 4 cycle are much shallower, a whole lot less of them meaning much less surface area to cool the cylinder, and no cooling fins on the top of the cylinder head in comparison. The way mine is set up with the stock muffler covering 1 side of the cylinder and carb on the other side my surface area for cooling the cylinder is very limited. At least the shrouds are designed to cool the fins behind the muffler.

As I mentioned for some removing the shrouds may work fine for your setup and style for riding but for mine it would be totally inadequate and cause engine failure. Keeping the engine's cooling system as it is designed to be ensures that it will perform the best it can in all situations therefore I'm not going to recommend that anyone modify it. Anyone who does assumes a risk or reward so I would just wish them good luck.