Cleaning Exhaust System-what do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
If you're talking about the standard kit muffler, I suggest cracking it open, and using a 1" drill-bit to chew out the baffles. The increase in exhaust noise is negligible, you'll find that the engine will have more "umph", and you won't have to worry about it becoming congested. I would, however, recommend you do this only after you confirm that a congested exhaust system is the culprit; try going for a short spin WITHOUT the muffler attached to see how it performs. I have an unmodified kit muffler on my build which has a few hundred miles on a 50:1 mix and have had no "plaque buildup".

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Brake Cleaner works well enough, for me at least. (A jar of kitty litter to catch the run-off out the other end isn't a bad idea either).

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
My Tanaka was fouled up (exhaust port and can), so it started running weakly. I took off the muffler, and put it in a mop bucket. I fogged the cannister muffler a few times with Liquid Wrench, and washed it out 2 days later with hot water. The muffler had been so clogged it barely poured out water. After that, it ran out fast!

I pulled the spark plug and put the engine in position so the piston was just below the exhaust port, then fogged it with Liquid Wrench, letting it drain into a rag. The carbon junk ran out as a thick black oil! It took a few times spraying in there, then scraping the port with wooden toothpicks to knock out any remaining crud. Again I sprayed it and let it run out.

I started the engine today. I put it on full choke and pulled it about 10 times to get a bunch of fuel mix in there, then let it rip. It made some black smoke for a minute from the chemicals of the liquid wrench, then ran great, and was not smoking.

mechanic rubber gloves

Liquid Wrench Penetrating Spray (this stuff STINKS and will make your hands stink for 2 days. Use gloves!)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Good to know cheapskate.

You think PB blaster would work too? Same sort of thing....

I'd clean out my muffler tomorrow if I didn't have to worry about resealing it at the engine again. lol

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No joke: Neighbor makes a big ass fire with the pipe in the center. Keeps putting wood to the fire and pipe ends up in a bed of glowing coals. Pipe comes out clean.

I'm like dude. Torch, solvent. Clean.

But what the heck I've never actually had to clean a pipe. Mine stay pretty clean, with just a little wet spooge.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Using heat to clean the pipe is not a good idea.
It will destroy the chrome and make the pipe look like crap.
Solvents are less damaging and easier to use.
I've used oven cleaner, engine de-greaser, and simple green in the past.
Better yet, don't run so much oil that it gets clogged in the first place.
I run 40:1 and I never have clogging issues.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
No joke: Neighbor makes a big ass fire with the pipe in the center. Keeps putting wood to the fire and pipe ends up in a bed of glowing coals. Pipe comes out clean.

I'm like dude. Torch, solvent. Clean.

But what the heck I've never actually had to clean a pipe. Mine stay pretty clean, with just a little wet spooge.
This is how I cleaned all my dirt bike pipes when we were out in the desert.
I just threw them on the fire pit after most folks went to bed (it smokes and stinks pretty bad). I have even burned out silencers this way too. A re-pack with Moose Racing muffler packing and they are as good as new
As for maniac57's concern of ruining the finish, they were all black pipes to begin with. BBQ paint made them look new again. Chrome or nickle plated pipes will most certainly come out looking bad.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm not sure. If you use anything like Liquid Wrench, or PB, etc, remember that stuff is a penetrating "lube", but not like an engine lube. That stuff all cuts grease and oil. Drain it out as best you can, and get some fuel mix in there before you start the bike, to help protect it.

Someone mentioned oven cleaner. No way I'd use that in the engine. It can eat aluminum! I used oven cleaner in an oven before (worked in a sub sandwich shop). It stinks terribly and causes a really corrosive reaction to metals. In the bottom of an oven no one cares, and it burns off, but it might wreck rings or bearings. I don't think it would matter to a muffler though, but make sure it can't suck into the engine. If the muffler is off it should be no problem, just flush out any residue and chemical goo.

Good to know cheapskate.

You think PB blaster would work too? Same sort of thing....

I'd clean out my muffler tomorrow if I didn't have to worry about resealing it at the engine again. lol

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I'm not sure. If you use anything like Liquid Wrench, or PB, etc, remember that stuff is a penetrating "lube", but not like an engine lube. That stuff all cuts grease and oil. Drain it out as best you can, and get some fuel mix in there before you start the bike, to help protect it.

Someone mentioned oven cleaner. No way I'd use that in the engine. It can eat aluminum! I used oven cleaner in an oven before (worked in a sub sandwich shop). It stinks terribly and causes a really corrosive reaction to metals. In the bottom of an oven no one cares, and it burns off, but it might wreck rings or bearings. I don't think it would matter to a muffler though, but make sure it can't suck into the engine. If the muffler is off it should be no problem, just flush out any residue and chemical goo.
Considering how anal I am about stuff being clean going back into the engine, that wouldn't be a problem. lol To be honest, I don't think my muffler is that bad off since I ran 24:1 the first gallon and 40:1 every other gallon since.

But it's still good info to know.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario

I had mentioned oven cleaner to clean the exhaust only. I rinsed it out with water and air compressor afterwards. For the engine, I've been using SeaFoam lately.

Last edited: