Please help with vibration question

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
My Genesis Onyx 29 inch cruiser with a H/S 49 cc four stroke motor and a 4G T drive on it has a very hard vibration on initial acceleration. Hard enough that I think it will eventually break the frame at the motor mount.
I think the centrifugal clutch engages too early and lugs the motor causing the bike to vibrate. I look at three possible solutions to this: the first would be to change the engagement to a higher RPM ( I don't know how to do that) the second would be to change the clutch to a hand lever operated slipper clutch (I don't know of one for that motor) the third would be to lower the gearing to accelerate quicker so that it would pick up PRM's easier.
The gearing change would be the easiest way to go but would it do any good? I think that the bike is geared too tall as it is but the most important thing is the vibrations. Please offer some suggestions on this. BTW pedaling does offer some help but the bike is difficult to pedal due to the gearing of the bike and the width of the motor and crank assembly.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a stupid question... Do you pedal the bike when taking off to help the engine build up speed? (that might help). ;)

Also, installing the exhaust pipe support bracket will cut down on a lot of the vibrations. :)

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I do pedal the bike to get going, but I have got to say that this bike is hard for me to pedal, it has very tall gearing due to the replacement front sprocket and with the wide pedal shaft and my old age getting up to speed is not easy. I am not sure what the pipe bracket is. At this time I still have the little box muffler that came with the motor there are no brackets

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I do pedal the bike to get going, but I have got to say that this bike is hard for me to pedal
The back wheel pedal sprocket on most beach cruisers is 18T and they just pop right off by removing the retaining ring and just drop a $5 19T back on it, that will make it much easier to pedal for cheap ;-}

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
smaller front sprocket helps too & also allows the engine to be mounted lower to reduce vibration