Nirve switchblade in progress

GoldenMotor.com

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So I picked up a extended exhaust (48$) and installed it the other day along with a 6" offroad light I picked up from harbor freight ($10)
I got a 32 led flashlight from hf as well (5$) that I'm going to hook up to is similar to the one in this thread

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48045

The only difference is I plan on cutting a hole in the back of the light housing so the flashlight I plan on using won't need any modding
The 6" light will basically just be a giant flashlight

This picture is of it mounted
Just need to file out a few holes for the donor flashlight!

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I also installed some mini pedals and cranks!
I have to make a slight bend on the exhaust to bring it closer to the frame since its sticking out a little too far and also make some sort of flexible hanger for it
Zip ties will work for now :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I also installed some mini pedals and cranks!
I have to make a slight bend on the exhaust to bring it closer to the frame since its sticking out a little too far and also make some sort of flexible hanger for it
Zip ties will work for now :D
Zip ties are amazing little creatures..... I've used them for so many things, not sure how this ole world ever got by without zip ties, super glue, duct tape & velcro..LOL!

By the way that headlight looks good, how you plan to power it?

Map

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Zip ties are amazing little creatures..... I've used them for so many things, not sure how this ole world ever got by without zip ties, super glue, duct tape & velcro..LOL!

By the way that headlight looks good, how you plan to power it?
I couldn't agree more Zip ties are an essential!
I plan on mounting a 32 led flashlight to the inside of the reflective housing
Then I will drill a hole in the back of the housing so I can turn the flashlight on or off and change the batteries
Heres a picture of how the flashlight will go in the housing, just imagine its inside of it not on the side

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Next project after the light will be purchasing and installing an under seat sissy bar as well as some front disc brakes
These forks don't have any sort of caliper mounts
anyone have any suggestions on caliper mounts besides welding em?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Next project after the light will be purchasing and installing an under seat sissy bar as well as some front disc brakes
These forks don't have any sort of caliper mounts
anyone have any suggestions on caliper mounts besides welding em?
You'll have to weld on, no other way of doing it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The no weld kit looks good but I still wonder where he is gonna get the lower mounting tab since those forks on his bike doesn't look like it has the threaded tab for attaching the lower end of that caliper.

look at the lower part of his forks and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm gonna say the best bet on those forks would be to go with a Drum brake set up, Disc will work with the right Fab work but not gonna be a simple fix unless you have the tools to do the work.

Map

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That chain tensioner is doing absolutely nothing but taking up space. Either remove it or relocate it to the lower chain run. I advised you on this in your previous thread.

Better yet, get rid of it. You have almost two inches of drop out length to adjust chain tension. Why insist on using a tensioner?

Tom
I couldnt agree more. It is nothing more than unnecessary added resistance. Knock some links out of the chain and lose the slack in it that way. If your pedal chain is still too loose to match the tension in the drive chain even with links knocked out of that chain then just add a traditional bicycle tensioner to the pedal side.

I got rid of mine a long time ago and never looked back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The best option is to find a front fork from a late model Switchblade that came with disc brakes. A local Nirve dealer will be able to order one for you.

If you have the tools and skills you can fabricate a caliper mount yourself.
Here's what the factory mount looks like. It wouldn't be hard to duplicate but you'd still need a hub set up for disc.
Whatever, give some thought to getting some front brakes on that bike before you get hurt. And get rid of that chain tensioner :(

Tom

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I was thinking drum brakes also but Isn't the stopping power much greater on discs?
I actually shortened the chain and removed the tensioner but the chain kept falling off!
I then realized my engine is about 1/4" to the left so now it's mounted as a chain guide
I've included a crudely drawn top view picture to see what i'm working with
I'm planning on re making my front engine mount since it seems to be the bane of my existence right now and that should hopefully fix the problem although my sights are set on the 212 predator engine .trk
So yes I agree with all of you the tensioner is quite ugly

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Me and a friend of mine took our last ride of summer down to what we call "The race track"
Last ride of the summer since he will be replacing his 66cc with something categorized as "classified" for now
I will be ordering/ installing my under seat sissy bar this week, as well as finishing the light and starting on the new tank!

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Took her out for a last spin around the neighborhood before taking the engine off, I've decided to mount it to my diamondback sorrento mtb so I have something to ride for the moment while I start pouring money into this 212cc build
Right now I'm looking for a rear moped rim/hub/spokes/tire
The moped rim sounds most logical to me since I wanted to beef up the spokes and rim and since it also has sprockets on both sides
I need that first so I can figure out how many teeth the drive sprocket has so I can start finding out what size clutch sprockets i need etc
anyone know of anywhere besides ebay that I can find moped wheels?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Took her out for a last spin around the neighborhood before taking the engine off, I've decided to mount it to my diamondback sorrento mtb so I have something to ride for the moment while I start pouring money into this 212cc build
Right now I'm looking for a rear moped rim/hub/spokes/tire
The moped rim sounds most logical to me since I wanted to beef up the spokes and rim and since it also has sprockets on both sides
I need that first so I can figure out how many teeth the drive sprocket has so I can start finding out what size clutch sprockets i need etc
anyone know of anywhere besides ebay that I can find moped wheels?
https://www.treatland.tv/category-s/120.htm

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/newpuch.html

http://www.1977mopeds.com/moped-brands/puch.html

others out there also.... just do a search for (puch moped parts)

Hope this helps ya out.

Map
reddd

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So the 17" rims have been purchased
Leleu is stamped on the hubs
Also I have the 17x3.0 michelin gazelle tires coming in the mail
A couple friends of mine welded some gussets on the frame for added support also
Next up is the chain and seat stay extensions
The pictures included is the gussets on the frame and a ms paint image of what it should look like when complete

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
The plan is to make the existing BB a set of foot rests and weld a BB from a different bike onto the rear of the seat tube,
I can only imagine people's faces when they see the passenger pedaling laff

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I love the switch blade. I keep watching for them to come out with one that has disk brakes, they make a heck of a motorized bicycle

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love the switch blade. I keep watching for them to come out with one that has disk brakes, they make a heck of a motorized bicycle
Paul,
The newer versions, 2012 & 2013, come with disc on the front. There was some speculation that they were going to put rear disc on the next generation however now it appears that Nirve might be selling out to another company and the Switchblade is going to get the ax.
It isn't a big seller, never was and is being eliminated from the new line. That was the scuttlebutt from a bike shop owner I know.

Fang, just curious how you stripped the frame. The newer Switchblades were powdercoated and that is some tough stuff to get off. Was yours paint or powdercoat?

Tom

Tom