Manic Mechanic Adaptor Slipping??? Help???

GoldenMotor.com

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
Hi all. i have a manic mechanic hub adaptor and noticed that it slips, resting on the spoke even after putting a rubber shim and tightening all the way. If you have any ideas to stop the slipping please let me know. it's the last fix i need to do on the bike and it would extremely appreciated. Also if you know of an adaptor that doesnt slip at all please let me know. Thank you all.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
There is a post on this forum about the same problem you are having. Do a search. I believe it was bikenut that was having the same problem.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A couple tack welds with a TIG ought to do the trick:D Not a good idea though.

I got rid of the one I had on my 212cc years ago......nothing would keep it in place and it was the correct size for the hub.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How tight are you torquing the adapter to the hub? Even correctly sized adapters can/will slip if not tightened properly. I don't know the specs (fastener size) on the adapter you have so I can't give you a torque value but you can research a little and find the proper value for the fastener (bolt) size used.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi all. i have a manic mechanic hub adaptor and noticed that it slips, resting on the spoke even after putting a rubber shim and tightening all the way. If you have any ideas to stop the slipping please let me know. it's the last fix i need to do on the bike and it would extremely appreciated. Also if you know of an adaptor that doesnt slip at all please let me know. Thank you all.
What hub are you putting which size adapter on?
is it a standard size?

A rubber shim is the worst solution and will never work.
NO shim is necessary to install a Correctly sized adapter.

The bolts are 5/16" and must be cranked down.
An allen wrench will not allow you to tighten the bolts properly.

A long cheater bar of a piece of tubing slipped over the allen must
be used so you can apply more torque.

Also make sure that the gap is even on both sides of the adapter
when the bolts are fully tightened.
The adapters are made to have about a 30 thousands gap when they
are machined and are designed to lock onto the hub when tightened.

biknut had the same problem as your slipping and solved it by tightening
the 5/16 bolts to 20 foot lbs.

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
hi everyone. thank you for all the ideas. They are all very appreciated. I have a modus adapter from MM and a bushing that they made to help make it more snug on the hub. I guess i'll have to go to the hardware store and get a torque wrench and set to 20lbs. i tried using a cheat bar but i dont think that worked out too well for me. my allen is too short i think. I figure if i cant get the adapter to stay put with 20lbs of force then I'm going to do what some brilliant guy did and key the adapter and hub. fingers crossed i dont have to do that. Again thanks all.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
keep an eye on that hub in case it was made cheaply and is necking down under the adapter

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
oh i dont have a modus hub. i bought a modus hub adaptor on bike berry... i just bought a torque wrench and tightened to 20lbs but it still slipped. im going to take a picture in a sec and hopefully you can help me out. im running out of ideas. i was thinking maybe put a shim under the bushing to make it a lil bit snug of a fit. im going to grab the camera right now though.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
oh i dont have a modus hub. i bought a modus hub adaptor on bike berry... i just bought a torque wrench and tightened to 20lbs but it still slipped. .
LOL What size hub do you have?

Do i have this right?
You bought a modus hub adapter and MM made you a bushing so it would fit your hub?

Your pics are too small to be of much use.
Why didn't you tell us all the info in the first post?

good luck. Try scotto's advice on tigging it! :D

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
the hub is 1.05905511811138 inches outer diameter. Yes youre correct. bought a modus hub adaptor and MM bushing. I'll export some bigger pics.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Here's some information on Modus hubs from pistonbikes.com regarding the adapter:

Modus Multi Speed Sprocket Adapter fits on the following hubs:
Modus Series 08
Modus Series 09
Modus Series 10
Modus multi speed hubs are common on schwinn bikes available at Target, Walmart and and K-Mart. On these hubs the word "Modus" and the series number is etched on the syndical portion where the adapter would go.

The Modus fits a 36 spoke wheel with a hub diameter of 1.182" - 1.187" and a spoke flange no larger than 2.35".

http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/pssas.htm

You'll have to look at your Modus hub to see what series you have. I think Bikeberry left out some information on the Modus hub.

*Looking at the above info. and the info. on your hub, I don't think it is going to work - Your hub is .122 inches too small for the adapter to work*

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
ok. i got brand new bolts and realized that the old ones were shot. now both bolts are holding at 20lbs and i made sure every turn of the bolts were even. it has a small gap... .which is even on both sides...

now my last question is does anyone know what the 3 bolts torque should be? i believe they are 3/8.. keep in mind im a newbie when it comes to allthis stuff. thank you for your patience.

sylarbrodie

Mar 5, 2013
indiana
nevermind !!!!!! i finally got it up and not slipping!!!!!! im going out for a ride. be back and let yall know how it went. thank you all for helping me out ... all your advice really helped!!!!