Engine Help

GoldenMotor.com

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Hi my engine kit was running great then lost power one day.... To have it run I have to have the choke somewhere right passed half way and then to even go not even fast(10mph) with no power(I have to pedal to get it up to speed and then it slowly dies from there) I have to hold the clutch in a little bit or it will just get really jumpy and die. Any help?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
check for air leak where carb mounts

clean the motor - look for oil showing up around head or case seam - check for oil near seals

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Have you re torque to head since you install the motor?????? If it rattled loose like they do when their new this could be your problem .

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
check for air leak where carb mounts

clean the motor - look for oil showing up around head or case seam - check for oil near seals
There was an an air leak by the carb and intake so I sealed it off... There's oil by the head though too...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I agree with what others have said here, it does sound like you have a leak, compression loss is my best guess, I had a crank seal behind Mag cover fail once on an engine, it was like having cruise control, bike would cruise at 25mph without even touching throttle, major lean condition, crank bearing seized and spun in case which ate away at case until mag flywheel chewed into seal and caused the serious leakage.........

( a small rant at myself here)....!Was a dang good and smooth running Slant BGF engine too, still need to break down and buy a new case to put all those good guts back in and I'll have another good one on the shelf if I should need it......wish I would have been using the Opti2 in this one, may or may not have made a difference, I guess I'll never know, just know I've not had a single failure since that one and I've been using Opti2 religiously since.

Best wishes, hope engine is OK and it's a simple torque it back down or just a gasket replacement issue, if you need a gasket ThatsDax is a good source at only $1.99 for a new head gasket.

One more thing that just came to mind, carb could have some trash in it that has the main jet partially stopped up, if you find that all gaskets are sealed properly you may pull carb and give it a good spraying out after removing fuel bowl to inspect for junk that may have made into it.

map.wee.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
motors should not show oil if they are taken care of - ever

road grime and oily fumes from exhaust can be easily cleaned

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Mine blows a mess back out the intake since I had to remove the air filter cover to fit the engine into the frame. I have just some foam zip-tied in place over the opening. Some engines blow back more than others and some have the habit of dripping oil out the intake when sitting. Never bothered me but you can prevent it by cleaning the air filter more often.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The Briggs Engine I'm using from the 70's era takes the output of the oil breather and goes to an area connected to the air filter. The seal on the oil breather needed cleaning all old gasket material taken off and a new gasket in place. No more oil seeping out there.

I'll have to check my air filter and see if there is a mess there, but the carb I change to required a paper filter rather than before the foam type. Cleaning oil mist off a paper filter, can it be done and how? I have two new extra ones I keep on hand just in case anyway.

MT