How dumb are you?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I wanted to use that one! LOL, But was gonna be Moosylvania.
(A fictional island and micronation located in the Lake of the Woods along the Canada – United States border that served as a plot device in The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.)

The island has no permanent population, and conditions are said to be harsh and unpleasant. The island is in a state of terra nullius, since neither Canada nor the United States wants to claim the land and each country says it belongs to the other.

The survivors fight back really hard when you try to bury them.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL DR, (survivors) I had heard it before but was a stumper for a good while.

Is one of those mental slight of hand things. Just seems to lead you away from the last word.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
But my all time favorite

spell POTS 10 times as fast as you can
What do you do when you come to a green light?

and just when they figured it out ask them

spell POLK 10 times as fast as you can
what do you call the white of an egg?

LOL

kindergarten stuff but it still catches adults

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My goal too DR!

Gonna kick my self when some one gets it but still not getting the egg one.

In my defence, and there is little. Spent the day doing complex math and kept getting accused of over complicating it.....

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
My goal too DR!

Gonna kick my self when some one gets it but still not getting the egg one.

In my defence, and there is little. Spent the day doing complex math and kept getting accused of over complicating it.....
PM sent with answer LOL
Misdirection what a concept :)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
How about a hands on puzzle?
I have won many a beer in the bar with this one with props on hand, usually swizzle sticks but all I have handy is colored toothpicks and the color has no meaning.

Take a look at the attached pic of 16 toothpicks arranged to make 5 equally sized 1 toothpick long squares.

By moving and reusing 2 toothpicks make it 4 equally sized squares.

No you can't double one up or leave stragglers, every toothpick makes a box side.
Nobody even made a guess at this one, and I got toothpicks out and took pics and everything.

You move the 2 yellow toothpicks to turn 5 squares into 4.

Attachments

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Three men check into the last room available in the hotel. The desk clerk charges them $10.00 each for the night so the total for the room was $30.00. The desk clerk felt guilty about charging them so much for the tiny room so he sent the bellhop to their room with a refund of $5.00. The bellhop wasn't a mathematical genius and couldn't figure out how to give 3 people a refund of $5.00 so he gave each man $1.00 and pocketed the remaining $2.00. Each man has now paid $9.00 for the room. So, 3X9=27 plus the 2 the bellhop pocketed =29. What happened to the extra dollar?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Three men check into the last room available in the hotel. The desk clerk charges them $10.00 each for the night so the total for the room was $30.00. The desk clerk felt guilty about charging them so much for the tiny room so he sent the bellhop to their room with a refund of $5.00. The bellhop wasn't a mathematical genius and couldn't figure out how to give 3 people a refund of $5.00 so he gave each man $1.00 and pocketed the remaining $2.00. Each man has now paid $9.00 for the room. So, 3X9=27 plus the 2 the bellhop pocketed =29. What happened to the extra dollar?
that da**** black hole
30-5=25+3=28+2=30:)
Now make me look like a fool LOL

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
that da**** black hole
30-5=25+3=28+2=30:)
Now make me look like a fool LOL
Ooooh. Kudos for digging out a real toughie. The extra dollar never went away, because the second part of the formula is mis-direction. In the end:
- All three were charged (after the refund) $25 for the room. (Not $27.)
- Each of the three received $1 from the dishonest/oportunistic bellhop.
*{So far $1x3=$3, and $3+$25 room = $28 running total.
- Bellhop lines pocket with unsolicited $2 tip. $28 + $2 = $30.
They WOULD have only paid $9 a pop for the room if the desk clerk refunded only $3 and the bellhop hadn't skimmed, but remember: the final bill will reflect $25 for the room.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
You guys are good. Misdirection is the key. I would tell this tale to my students to promote discussion about perception and spin.