2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Craig R

Apr 15, 2013
Indiana
Got my Felt MP Saturday, so now I'm thinking about what motor to add. First build, so I'm looking for simple installation, minimal headaches, and reliability.

From what I've read 2 strokes are noisier, less efficient, and wear out faster. On the other hand, 4 strokes are bulkier, more expensive, and produce less hp/cc.

Am I correct about this?

I'm also not clear on ignition systems. I've seen 4 strokes with pull starters and 2 strokes that start while riding. Is this true of all of them or can you get 4 strokes that start while riding? My preference would be to have an engine that starts while riding by just releasing the clutch.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm completely new to this.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
if you need to ride daily or almost daily, get a 4 stroke to avoid mixing gas and oil.
if you like to hop up the motor, get a two stroke. Just bolting on a high performance exhaust to a two stroke can make a big difference.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Whether two stroke or four stroke, the amount of power depends on how the engine is designed. The 2 stroke kit engines are not very powerful stock, but the morini/KTM clone engines (2 stroke motocross engines) can make up to 12 HP stock. The same is probably true of the 4 strokes. The kit engines are not very powerful, but the non-kit engines have much more power. It also depends on how you gear it. If you're going single speed, higher gearing will give you more speed but less torque. Lower gearing will give you more torque but less speed. The trick is to do the research and find the gear ratio that you'll be happy with. Good luck.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This discussion will never grow old... 2-strokes can be very quiet & reliable if the owner does his homework, breaks it in properly & learns how to maintain it . ;)

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I'd rather mix oil into gas then change oil regularly. You have to run to the gas station for any type of engine's fuel. What's so hard about dumping 20 oz of oil into your 5 gallon container before you add fuel to it or dumping 4 oz of oil into oil into a gallon size container?

I'll stick with a 2 stroke. Their power, simplicity, and lightweight are awesome and yes, I'll even say it, their reliability is superior to 4 strokes as far as I'm concerned. Less moving parts = less stuff to break or wear out.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The Felt MP is a big heavy bike, I'd go a 4-stroke with a 4G belt drive as the Stage III transfer cases suck like this one which after several months is back here now with a trashed clutch bell and gear.

A 4-stroke will give you the high RPM torque a cheap 2-stroke don't have.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Glad ya liked it, but funny enough not only is that motor bone stock, it's not even broken in yet... and it's just a 49cc Lifan (Honda CRF50 clone) ;)

Here's the thread though: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210 or you could just skip to the good stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLTLRx8sTI
thanks man, that is a sweet lookin' ride although it looks kinda scary riding in that position.

...and man i bet you get some looks, lol, that tadpole 'blends' like my cousin Vinny!

...truth is, i'm at the very bottom of the learning curve and i've spent the last few weeks trying to do some research before i take delivery of my first bike, a Micargi Cheetah with a chinagirl being built for me by Pirate Cycles, so, as it happens, i've been lurking in your thread some already, i'ma gonna hafta go back and read it through more thoroughly. (so that'll be me in the back with the popcorn)

peace, bozo

btw, i dig the music choices in the vid, sweet sounds for the sweet New England scenery.