Idle

GoldenMotor.com

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
Noob here
I have finished installing my 66cc and NT carb. My bike started fine runs I think good. Im still doing the break in oil mix and all. but heres the question. Is there a way or a test I can do to see if I have an air leak? My idel screw doesnt raise or lower the idel at all. I started to try to adjust it up or down and nothing. My bike doesnt have a high idel right now but the screw doesnt seem to work. Could I have an air leak? I used an O ring that fit inside perfect and some sealant that is Gas resistant also. Any thoughts please

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Idel

The idle speed screw on the NT carburetor is not a jet but only a mechanical way to raise the throttle barrel. Screw it in and it raises the barrel, sometimes called a 'slide' and increases the idle speed. Screw it out and it allows the barrel to move down and decreases the idle.
If the throttle cable is out of adjustment and the barrel can't return to the lowest position the speed screw will not have any effect on the idle speed.
You can remove the air cleaner and look into the throat of the carb to see how the barrel behaves when you twist and release the throttle.

Is your engine idling too fast or too slow?

Tom

Last edited:

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio

I have nothing to compare it to. I dont think it is either to fast or slow. When I screw the idel in or out nothing happens at all. Its not like twisting the throttle or anything. This is my first build wonder if I hooked the throttle up wrong. If I screw it in all the way it will stall about 3 1/2 turns out and it idels like when I started it

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

***IDLE**** not idel
lol srry. anyway does the bike idle?, because it sounds like it does from what your describing. Does it stall after a while? Im not really sure if you have a problem? Good luck -MOTO

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio

Yes, It idels for awhile then it will stall. My idel screw does nothing, dont raise or lower the idel.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

Yes, It idels for awhile then it will stall. My idel screw does nothing, dont raise or lower the idel.
take the screw out, is it bent? or otherwise damaged? try taking out slide and making sure it lines up correctly w/ everything and clean the carb well. can we see pics?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I guess I should have asked this in the other post, but, does your throttle work? When you start the engine and twist the throttle grip, does the engine rpm increase and decrease when you release it?
Have you ridden this bike?

Tom

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio

2door, Moto. Illl check the idel screw when I get home at 4mp EST and take pics of the carb, screw and throttel. I have been riding this bike since Saturday with no prroblems, so I thought. the throttle works fine, I looked inside the carb before I put it on the manifold. The throttle twists and snaps back on its own with no binding. Twisting the idel screw in or out has no effect on speed (like twisting the throttle) of the motor at all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let us know what you find. The idle speed screw has a pin at the end, or should have. It is smaller in diameter than the threaded portion. That pin is what engages the slot, or ramp in the barrel that allows idle speed adjustment.

Possibly it is the wrong screw or the pin was broken off.
Can you post a photo of your carburetor and the speed screw out of the carb?

Tom

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
everything looks fine to me...

EDIT: lots of the engines ive bought recently have come with loose intakes due to crappy acorn nuts on the intake bolts. Try removing intake, making new gasket and replacing acorn nuts with lock nuts or even better allen bolts. Good luck! MOTO

Last edited:

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
I found my problem. I went and unscrewed my throttle cable from the carb and pulled out the Barral for some reason it wasnt lining up right. I fiddled with it and slid it back in and it went further down in. screwed it back together and Viola idel adjustment works thanks for all the help this forum rocks