is it Slime Time?

GoldenMotor.com

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
So yesterday I got flat tires and am looking to prevent future issues. In my research into heavy duty tires and tubes I came accross Slime red label tube tire sealant. Has anyone used this? I see some heavy duty tubes come with the slime inside already, so I thought Id get some slime and load my tubes. any thoughts on this would be great and I hope that this recent run in with the flat gremlin is my last.

On a side note, the sides of the roads I ride on are chock a block full of glass and trash, something you never notice zooming bye in an auto. At 20mph I am constantly dodging debris. crazyness.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Yes good stuff.Thang to remember is if you get a flat with the slime pull out the object and air it up, ride a small bit then check the tire it should seal ,then add air to your liking.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
just to add my 2cents...
the debris that u mentioned, i know all too well about. been dodging it my whole life... got about 3-4 flats each summer bc of it.
about 4-5 yrs ago i ran across a slime tube that was almost 3 times the cost of a regular tube. i got it, and havnt had a flat since on that wheel :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Stay Away from thin walled tubes. I always get the best thick walled tube I can find. As I run fairly fat tires. So pretty much had always bought ''separately'' and put a whole bottle in each. Many of the pre-slimed tubes have a miniscule amount of product in them In my experience. . My way has been bullet proof for me for going on about 30 years now. .

I cannot count how many times I made it home etc to see some kind of a projectile lodged in and it brought me home peacefully.

Have pulled nails and large thorns out on many occasions with absolutely no repair necessary. https://www.google.com/search?q=pyr...IBMibygGEo4D4Bg&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1896&bih=836 To ride for months after. If a nail is big enough to reach the rim game over. Other wise ride onto your hearts content.

Of course one may have to air up again. I Ride it and it always stops leaking all together.

Have been on many a construction sight to have a wheel barrel party . Basically getting a frantic move on to set cement foundations etc. Every one of the wheel barrels owned by construction workers I have known all my life here live by it. Bicycle shop up the street from me has it by the 5 gallon bucket.

We have ground sticker thorns here. When you find a patch of them it is pretty brutal. I don't go out of my way to run through the stuff. Yet have no worry's about them at all ether.(^)

These are guaranteed to wreck a wheel barrel party lol. https://www.google.com/search?q=goa...QGL8IC4BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1896&bih=836

Dang things were a bad welcome to my child hood. While it is true that a good tire, liner and thick heavy duty walled tube etc can be enough. I will never take the chance having seen what my tires have casually survived with it.

Never did like tire liners though they messed with my ride quality In My Humble Opinion . Sometimes I like a tire to scrub the pavement with a little better flex. Folks have had awesome luck with tire liners. I just never came to them.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I am definately going to invest in heavy duty tires and thick walled tubes, I will also put slime in them hedging all bets. lol. For right now, I put 4 oz of the redlable stuff that is meant for bicycles aired it up and rode around, the tire is holding air! I get paid Wed afternoon so at that point I can get better gear. I dont expect my tire with a tube is going to splode.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Go with the slime in a quality tube for sure, but if you don't already have the puncture resistant liners that go between the tire and tube get them too....

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
so thats a better quality rim tape, thicker tubes, tube liner, heavy duty tires and slime in the tube....gheesus! I made it to todays lesson and home again no issues, I tinkered with the throttle cable and am now cruisin pretty good. Unfortunately the bottom cap to the exhaust vibrated off, man is it loud! Im gonna have to use a lock washer or something! Its always something it seems.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I'm plagued by rear flats, riding through an industrial area to get to work. I've got an extra thick tube in right now, and a kevlar lined Kenda tire with on old tube layered (folded in thirds on itself and packed into the tire) between tire and new tube.
So far it's holding up, but having said so I expect to have a flat before the end of the week. ;)

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I slimed my bike the other day, the install was a lot easier than expected. I didn't even have to rermove the tire.