Overheating problem...

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
Hi all. Since the change in temps lately, my bike has been overheating. I used to ride in 30-45f now I'm riding in 55f and up. I'm running 100:1 on husqvarna 2 cycle oil. I have a 32t sprocket and a X-80 slant head HT motor, with a iridium plug. I have looked up a few threads on the issue, I read that air leaks will cause overheating. I used some clear waterproof silicone on my carb around the edge of the carb outlet (the edge thats closer to the engine head, not the rear of the bike) I havent noticed a difference in power or throttle response.... I used to have a SPB thin head gasket on there, i recently swapped it back for the original. I also swapped the head to a BGF silver motor head. My exhaust gaskets (running double SPB aluminum gaskets) look sealed, as does my manifold gasket. I'm also running a Voodoo expansion chamber. I ran the gas bowl to make sure i dont have an air bubble. any ideas?

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Warmer air is less dense than cold air... You may be running rich.... Check ur plug....Try a new plug too.. Its amazing how often that cures the problem...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How are you determining that your engine is "overheating"?

With a 32T sprocket are you lugging the engine at lower speeds? How does your spark plug color look?

Also most silicone based products are not compatible with gasoline. Read the label on the product you're using. Over a period of time gas will attack and dissolve many silicone sealers.

Tom

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
I think my oil is only for 50:1 and under... so should I just run it at 50:1 and see what happens?
you should never go over the recommended ratio for ur oil ... Always check the bottle and see(and use) recommended ratio.
and check out the items the 2door is talking about also (that man knows his stuff!!)

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I think 100:1 is low, I'd go 50:1 or even 32:1. And also, I agree with Tom, that you might be bogging your engine too much.

Also, if the ignition is firing at the wrong time, you'd be running hot. My buddy's Vespa is doing that now. I'd check all those things out.

Don't forget, these engines are going to run warm. They dissipate heat by air flow, so they will probably feel HOT to the touch.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A air leak is a bad thing and causes a lean condition. Coincidentally can make the engine run a bit hotter too. Most of all it will upset your oiling ratio and burn the cylinder and piston out. Chuck that clear house hold silicone from Lowes and make sure you have good gaskets IMHO.

The usual tell of a air leak on a two stroke is it idles high and cannot be corrected until the vacuum leak is corrected.