Oil Coming From Exhaust Pipe? Normal?

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
This morning I get up to go for a ride and I notice a small puddle of oil that had dripped from my exhaust pipe.
I'm not too sure what may be causing it because everything sounds good when I'm riding.
I also noticed oil around exhaust gasket but I tightened down the bolts and hoped that won't be an issue again.
Anybody knows what's up or what I should be aware of let me know please.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Could be that your oil/fuel ratio is too high, or you're running a too large of a main jet, meaning running a bit to the rich side.

It could also be that there is a minor leak. For that very reason I prefer to use a valve on the fuel tank. Motorcycles have fuel valves, but these bike kits don't seem to.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
you do realize that anyone answering your question is going to ask you what oil ratio you are mixing?
I hope you aren't using the "recommended" 16 to 1 because it's way too much oil and is one of the many pieces of misinformation that comes with the Chinese bicycle engine kits.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I'm using 24:1 mix ratio. I've read some solutions after searching the forum for this same issue. Many people recommended a 40:1 ratio after breaking it in. How long till an engin is broken in?
I've only had a handful of rides and I don't turn off the fuel shutoff valve...I'll try that before getting a new gasket and changing the ratio.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use 40:1 after about three tanks...should be broken in enough by then, although I think the motor keeps getting better for several hundred more miles.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
200 to 300 miles is about right. Anything before that and I know my engines will run better so I don't worry about performance until then. I like to tune the carburetor, lean them a little but at my altitude it's almost essential. The Chinese 2 strokers, like fine wine, just get better with age. Treat 'em right and they'll start to perform but you have to give 'em a chance.

Tom

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I get drips all the time. I like a lot of oil! Protects my modified (and regularly abused) engine. I dont wanna stir up controversy just sharing my opinion. 32-1 baby! Synthetic w/ a cap full of castor for the smell. The shut off wont do anything because burnt oil is accumulated in the exhaust pipe while the engine is running not while it is off. (still wise to use it though) When your engine runs some oil comes out the exhaust port, which is perfectly normal. when you park the bike it slowly runs down the inside of the muffler and drips out the little spout thing. I made a catch pan out of some kitty litter. Break in is 2-300 miles but in my opinion the most noticeable differences in smoothness come at ~50-100 mile mark. Enjoy -MoTO

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I think its a combination of the heavy break in mixture and the float needle valve allowing fuel to seep through.Make sure to turn off the petcock.I noticed some oil dripping off the bottom of my pipe after a couple miles of running 20:1.Thats alot of oil for a little junk motor.I would not worry about it too much,,should stop after you lean her out and use the petcock.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Mine does not drip oil. Ever. Don't have any carbon buildup in my head or exhaust port either, even after several thousand miles of daily use.
I run 40:1.
Anything richer than 32:1 is just wasting money and power.
'nuff said.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Mine does not drip oil. Ever. Don't have any carbon buildup in my head or exhaust port either, even after several thousand miles of daily use.
I run 40:1.
Anything richer than 32:1 is just wasting money and power.
'nuff said.
Yeah,,Ill go 40:1 after a tank or two,,I run all my 2 strokes 40:1,,never had a problem in 35 years.Right now my china girl wont idle,,I moved the clip up one notch from stock,,did not make a difference,,it will idle if I crack the throttle a hair,,the idle screw all the way in no difference either.Hope after I lean it out that will help the idle.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I plan on running it a good while tomorrow and afterwards check for more drips..hopefully I won't see none. I only saw it that one time so I had to ask here and see what was up. I cleaned up the spot and ran it that same day but haven't seen it again. I've seen alot of "use 40:1" for 2 strokes so after this tank runs dry I'll be using that 2 gallon I already premixed for my weed eater I guess.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen it most when doing mostly short rides (mile to store, mile back several times a week with no longer rides) - I think it may be fumes condensing out onto cold muffler parts, a longer ride should evaporate them.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I plan on running it a good while tomorrow and afterwards check for more drips..hopefully I won't see none. I only saw it that one time so I had to ask here and see what was up. I cleaned up the spot and ran it that same day but haven't seen it again. I've seen alot of "use 40:1" for 2 strokes so after this tank runs dry I'll be using that 2 gallon I already premixed for my weed eater I guess.
At 40:1 after motor is warm you should see a nice little light puff of smoke come out when you are at an idle and snap it WOT for a second.If not I would try to move the clip on the needle down one notch or run 32:1 till you get her tuned in.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yeah,,Ill go 40:1 after a tank or two,,I run all my 2 strokes 40:1,,never had a problem in 35 years.Right now my china girl wont idle,,I moved the clip up one notch from stock,,did not make a difference,,it will idle if I crack the throttle a hair,,the idle screw all the way in no difference either.Hope after I lean it out that will help the idle.
Moving the clip will have no effect on idle.

Sounds like you have an air leak at the carb manifold.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
At 40:1 after motor is warm you should see a nice little light puff of smoke come out when you are at an idle and snap it WOT for a second.If not I would try to move the clip on the needle down one notch or run 32:1 till you get her tuned in.
I've seen a light white puff of smoke at idle with the 24:1 mix I have now. I'm going to tune the carburetor today before the ride it because I haven't messe with it yet. Whats's the needle you're talking about? I've never ran it full throttle yet either but today may be a full throttle test run too. xct2
Thanks Jersey