Installed some new components, now bike isn't getting any power?

GoldenMotor.com

Kevbot365

Feb 27, 2013
Southeast US
OK, so I busted the chain on the bike the other day, and I figured while I was replacing that I'd take the opportunity to replace some of the other parts I wanted to replace (my mount had failed and jerked some of my wiring apart too, so that needed to be taken care of). Easy enough, right?

Well, I done goofed something, apparently. I'll walk you though my experience.

What I changed:

New muffler, new gasket (that ended up in pieces, so I put the old one back on), new chain, and I replaced the whole throttle mechanism-wire and all, new fuel line (I got some thick-walled line that is 1/4" ID, but I'll be honest, I hate it, it doesn't stay on well, I ended up keeping the old line below the filter because it was leaking with the new line).

After all of that was put on, I tried to start up the bike and lost power almost immediately. As if I wasn't getting any fuel. At the advice of chat user Groove I took the carb apart and cleaned it out. Found a bit of debris and cleared it out. Put things back together and then started up and HOLY CRAP. Bike took off without me pulling the throttle at all. Held the clutch and it revved as if I was holding the throttle WAYYYYY out. Looked through the forums and reset the idle screw. Much better, but then my muffler tried to fall off, so I didn't go far or ride much, I just got it back home from down the street.

OK so went to deal with that, the mounting bolts are nearly stripped so it took some creative touches to get it tightened (that's when I put the old gasket back on). Go to start it up again and I'm losing power again!

Groove gave me some more advice (thanks go to him) I moved the E thing on the needle and tried it at every position. Still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I had a similar problem just the other day. I found out that my problem was the throttle cable itself. The way it was adjusted made it seem like I was on half throttle all the time. So, by the time the bike warmed up, it was racing.

OK, so disconnect your carb and look at it. You should see the slide for the throttle (the part you had to fit through that annoying pin and spring) going up and down with no problem. Make sure it's lined up right, and not catching on anything. Make sure the idle screw makes it go up and down a little.
Also, make sure the choke slides up and down freely, and not stuck. That happens with these carbs.

So, choke works, and slide goes up and down, and more importantly, slides up with no problem, and then springs down immediately after you let go of the throttle.

Then, after that, make sure that you are not running too rich or too lean. (I am guessing you have the standard NT carb), so check the needle position, and adjust as required.

I hope this works, buddy. Keep us posted.