Preparing to build my 4-Stroke Electra...

GoldenMotor.com

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
New to the motorized bicycle hobby. Motorizing an Electra Coaster 1 (Aluminum). Any tips are appreciated. Changed the handlebar to the Surly's Open Bar and Primo's Meat Grinder pedals. Installed fenders, and taken note to mount solidly.

Just saw a 4-Stroke on the Forum with a Poo Poo pipe exhaust. Can you use any 2-Stroke exhaust pipe? Any recommended pipes to consider? The goal is to make the bike quiet. This will be my commuter, and want to be able to hear traffic around me.

I have also seen that on some builds, the removal of the catalytic converter. Will this increase the low end power? Or is that frowned upon, and I should just leave it alone?

I also have a question on the gearing. I read the EZM kit needs to have 56 tooth minimum, is there a minimum tooth for the standard T-Belt drive? I know about the Tiny Tach, but still need to know the maximum RPM's.

UGH...! two more questions, EZM kit, Double Roller Chain, or T-Belt??? How did you decide on your kit???

I have spent a lot of time lurking on the Forum, but have not found specific answers I am looking for. I welcome all your suggestions and tips!

Lee

.xx.

AmericanGasBikes

Feb 28, 2013
Cherry Valley
Nice,
We're putting together a 4-stroke kit with a T-belt on an Electra ourselves.
We already used a double roller chain on another bicycle and I personally believe it's going to last longer than the T-belt. Let us know how the build works out for you, we might run into similar fixes with the kits

chavez

Feb 14, 2013
CABAZON
I have heard the chain stretches and makes quite a bit of noise on the hoot chain drive? I like those bikes that are on the american gas bike website! By the way how is my electra build goin at the a.g.b. Shop!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Just saw a 4-Stroke on the Forum with a Poo Poo pipe exhaust. Can you use any 2-Stroke exhaust pipe? Any recommended pipes to consider? The goal is to make the bike quiet. This will be my commuter, and want to be able to hear traffic around me.
The 2-stroke exhaust manifold is compatible with the typical Huasheng that comes with 4G T-belt kits. If you want a proper exhaust I recommend using at least 30" of 3/4" ID stainless flexpipe or conduit. A nice stainless flexpipe can be found here under Whizzer exhaust.

I have also seen that on some builds, the removal of the catalytic converter. Will this increase the low end power? Or is that frowned upon, and I should just leave it alone?
There's not really a cat on the 4-stroke; if you run 30-36" of flexpipe and a Briggs-type cigar muffler, you'll have the broadest powerband I think.
This is from my experience, anyway. I'm currently running a long pipe without a muffler and I feel less torque than I do with the $5 cigar from Lowe's.

I also have a question on the gearing. I read the EZM kit needs to have 56 tooth minimum, is there a minimum tooth for the standard T-Belt drive? I know about the Tiny Tach, but still need to know the maximum RPM's.
Depends on which 4G T-belt you'll have. Most have the 80T (4:1) or 100T (5:1). A 4:1 will need a larger sprocket than a 5:1 for same overall ratio.
The EZM kit is somewhere in the neighborhood of ~3:1 so that's why it likes a 56T minimum.
As for redline, the engine makes maximum horsepower around 7K. You can take it up to 8K safely, but I wouldn't recommend much more than that.
The oiling system in the Huasheng 4-stroke is really too primitive to support extended 8500+ running.
I have near 6000 miles on mine and it's never been over 7800RPM. Runs like a top.

UGH...! two more questions, EZM kit, Double Roller Chain, or T-Belt??? How did you decide on your kit???
I'd say get a 4G from B-E, but I could be biased. I have a shift-kitted 4G and I love it! I've put a couple hundred miles on my brother's EZM bike and I think EZM has a solid transmission. It lacks low-end and hillclimbing power with the Huasheng and I think it's fugly with the cover on it. But it tends to be reliable and smooth, and you can blip the throttle like a little kid without shocking the drivetrain.

I have spent a lot of time lurking on the Forum, but have not found specific answers I am looking for. I welcome all your suggestions and tips!

Lee

.xx.
Welcome to motorized bicycle riding! To the forum, too. That little Google search box above the forum header is really handy! :D

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. If I could add about the kits? B-E are good people to do business with, I've heard the 4G is good, and cobrafreak has improved the 4G with some modifications. The EZM when it engages the clutch is solid and smooth. I think it's a go-cart clutch. They have compensated for a lack of low-end, hillclimbing power with their pace setter series. A shift-kitted 4G is something most all of us would love: shifting gears, keeping the engine steady as she goes. Finally, many people are fitting an HF 79cc engine to bike transmissions to get good take off and a 30-35mph cruising speed. Thankyou.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Hi. If I could add about the kits? B-E are good people to do business with, I've heard the 4G is good, and cobrafreak has improved the 4G with some modifications. The EZM when it engages the clutch is solid and smooth. I think it's a go-cart clutch. They have compensated for a lack of low-end, hillclimbing power with their pace setter series. A shift-kitted 4G is something most all of us would love: shifting gears, keeping the engine steady as she goes. Finally, many people are fitting an HF 79cc engine to bike transmissions to get good take off and a 30-35mph cruising speed. Thankyou.
Does the 4G clutch engage qucikly? I have a hoot gearbox that has 4000 on it and when something breaks in there or even if the clutch weas out, there are no parts availabe that I can see. I love my hoot but nothing lasts forever.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois

Does the 4G clutch engage qucikly? I have a hoot gearbox that has 4000 on it and when something breaks in there or even if the clutch weas out, there are no parts availabe that I can see. I love my hoot but nothing lasts forever.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
The 4G clutch does engage quite quickly, the exact engine speed might vary tho.
My first 4G clutch engaged near idle, my current clutch locks up fully by about 2700-2800 RPM.
I have the keyed shaft Huasheng, not the tapered shaft version.

Regardless of which version of the Huasheng one has, replacement clutches can be found quite easily. I got mine from bicycle-engines.com.

staton-inc.com has a good clutch for tapered shaft versions.