I need more power!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I have a HS 49cc with a 4G tranny, and its just not enough 'pep' for me. Are there any mods that will substantially increase the power? If not, what engine is the easiest to transfer to that has more power? I want to stay in the 4 stroke group though.

Thank You!
-Chris

PS: I feel like Tim Allen from the show "Home Improvement" ;)

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
There's a lot you can do to pep up that engine. I have the performance exhaust and cam from AGK, of course they have been out of the cam for a while. Sucks. I also drilled out my main jet to match the increased flow of air. AGK also has a nice bored out carb for the 49cc. Gearing change can also improve performance. If you're running too small a rear sprocket your takeoff and hill climbing can be affected, I had a 36t, but upgraded to a 44t and may go up to a 56t in the future. Also Staton Inc. has a super duty clutch that engages at 3000rpm instead of the stock 2000, that gives the engine time to build up power before it is applied to the gearbox. A much better takeoff than stock. If you're looking for speed, then go with a smaller pulley in you G4 and that'll increase your top end. Any of these things can be done cheaply without having to re-engineer your bike for a new engine.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Sorry my internet has been having issues so I could not get back to you.

The thing about my need for more power is I want more low and top end. A carb/airfilter and cam can add some more power there but I was told from someone else that it is hardly noticeable. Is this true? Can I have some links to parts you suggest?

Thanks man!
-Christopher

EDIT: Im running a 55t in the back and 11t in the front. I max out at 35mph on flat ground and can get up hills pretty well, although i would like a little more low end power without sacrificing my top end.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Low end power is hard to get out of these motors. There's just not anything you could really change except maybe your front pulley to a 10t and go up to a 60+ on your rear sprocket, but that will bring your top speed down a bit. The high engaging clutch will give you a better take off as some say, I have not bought the clutch yet. Check out the discussion I have going in this category. Looks like its getting heated, lol. As for the upgrades on the carb/air filter, it will give you more top end only, which would compensate for going to a higher ratio on the sprockets. If you have the money go for it, it is worth it in the long run. Also I've seen a few people remove fan blades to reduce drag on the flywheel, just make sure you balance which ones you remove, staggering them.

Here's the link to AGK's 49cc parts.
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=MTRBK49

And here is the link to Staton's Clutch.
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/Super_Duty_Clutch_Rotor_3_000_Shandong_Huasheng_Zhongtian-1676-10.html

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Everyone says that AGK is out of the custom ground cam, but they have a plastic honda one on there that seems to be the same. Why can't I just use this?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I don't know if that will fit in the HS, properly. Someone might know better than I. Email AGK and find out, cause I need a back up just incase the cam I got wears out.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
SBP it, hook it up to a 3 or 5-speed disc hub. Aside from changing the engine, that's the easiest way to increase low-end acceleration and have a nice cruising gear.

Well, you could also just pedal harder, too. Just my opinions :p

A PowerPro 2.5 Cali Edition and an AGK jackshaft would be the next step up in power. Twice the torque, 50% more horsepower.
rotfl Pedal harder, Yer killing me.rotfl
fatdaddy.(^)

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
The idea about the multi speed hub keeps catching my eye. I heard that they have a tendancy to fail because they are not meant for the speeds these bikes reach. If I buy a good, reliable brand would it be ok (like Sturmey Archer)?

As far as the straight pipe goes I forgot to mention that I already one of the straight chrome pipes from Phantom Bikes. I love it and cant get rid of it, so that is staying ;)

As far as the upgrade to the new engine, I would want to go with a Predator 79cc because there is a HF store like 5 miles from me so i would not need to pay for shipping. How is the price/performance gain of buying a new engine compared to upgrading things on my HS 49cc?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Fart when you pedal harder.....put a match to it if ya hafta for the afterburner! Every little bit counts with the tiny 49cc 4-strokes.

Eat beans and go!

laff

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
There's a lot you can do to pep up that engine. I have the performance exhaust and cam from AGK, of course they have been out of the cam for a while. Sucks. I also drilled out my main jet to match the increased flow of air. AGK also has a nice bored out carb for the 49cc. Gearing change can also improve performance. If you're running too small a rear sprocket your takeoff and hill climbing can be affected, I had a 36t, but upgraded to a 44t and may go up to a 56t in the future. Also Staton Inc. has a super duty clutch that engages at 3000rpm instead of the stock 2000, that gives the engine time to build up power before it is applied to the gearbox. A much better takeoff than stock. If you're looking for speed, then go with a smaller pulley in you G4 and that'll increase your top end. Any of these things can be done cheaply without having to re-engineer your bike for a new engine.
mincraft dont listen to this guy below you here tad..... that cam is a waste of money.. you will have problems.... an agk plug is just a better plug because its not from china it dosent give you more power...

the clutch dosent give you more power..

dont drill out your jet if you mess up it will not run.. those jets are designed to be at a certain size to run right.. if you want a bigger jet order one..

all this stuff wont help these motors you might get .5 hp out of it not noticeable.. you want power and tourq then you buy an old 5 hp motor off a lawn edger and get a cvt gear it right and there you go..
those 99 cc and 98 cc are junk from china they aren't bullet proof like an older motor before all this Chinese junk hit the market..

you will be just wasting your money putting all this stuff on... if you want more power get a Moroni motor or a 125 cc engine out of a pit bike there is fab work also you can get real moped motors.. they are cheaper..

the way you get more power is with stroke, bore... and stroke of the piston.. then comes more fuel and exhaust.. those old motors have high torq and you can beat them into the ground and they will still work these new ones you over rev and you blow a rod 3500 rpm max..

no disrespect tad ive just had a long time to work on these bikes and the 2 stroke and these husangs are junk over priced kits and crappy workmanship on them...

how do i know all this stuff.. common sense working with them and im a ase master certified mechanic..... not to toot my horn lol

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Well, to each his own opinion. I prefer having the smaller engine and no "fab" work. And I at least gained almost 1.5HP from the combination of air filter, larger jet, cam and high flow exhaust. Dyno tested at 3.88HP. Only cost me about $100. Way cheaper than getting a new engine, new parts for an engine, fabrication, new clutch, custom exhaust you have to buy for a 99cc+, etc. etc. So if ya gots the money then go ahead and do a whole another build. But I don't like someone knocking parts that AGK sells. They sell them for a reason, they work. Certainly did for me.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Old school hot rodding principles still work guys. More displacement, more compression, more airflow= more power.
I'd go with the pred myself. There is no replacement for displacement.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
nobody has said raise compression... idk the hs motor but you should be able to deck it down a few 100ths. it will give you a big boost all over, but especially low end. here's a video on piston to valve clearance which is important when raising compression http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLH4muS5kWo and definitely run 91 or 93 octane after raising compression

Last edited: