I finished my board track racer

GoldenMotor.com

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Just finished putting it together. I finally got the light to work after trying us the white wire and a rectifiers nether would work so I bought one of the old wheel generators, it works great. The was of special interests because it belong to my grandfather, it was from the 20's. I have been riding it around town for awhile it run real good.

Attachments

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
That's a very nice, clean build. That light is totally cool. Good thing you couldn't use the white wire. Apparently using the white wire causes CDI failure. The only part that doesn't look "period" is the seat. Maybe you could rewrap that one in leather? I don't know. I don't want to say anything negative about a bike that looks far better than any that I've built.

Good job.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I tried everything to get the white wire to work, no luck. The seat was something I wanted to keep period but the cost was just too much right now. They are over a hundred dollars. I will diffidently be looking for one soon.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Ron, you can find a good old seat for very few $ and a little work. I found an old one on e-bay for $25 and lucky for me Silverbear offered to re-cover it. There is a thread somewhere on the forum showing how he did it. It might be under something like "Tinsmiths seat". If you can't find it let me know, but I'll bet you can do it yourself for not a lot of money and have something you made to boot.
Good luck, Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something I read years ago by somebody who knew what he was talking about stated that a big reflector like that is far more efficient for seeing where you're going than a small one using the same size light source. Does it throw out a good beam for little energy into it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Needs fatter tires. But you know where I'm coming from. :)

Seriously, it has a great look. Simple but it has a certain style that only a guy who appreciates that 'look' would understand. The headlight says it all.
Good work. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe we can ride together in the spring.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't know, if you put fatter tyres in, you unbalance the look of it unless you rebuild and make a heavier bike altogether.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I don't know what the head light came off of all I know is that it's very early. I have had it for forty years and never new what to do with it until I built this bike. The tires are a little small but they work pretty good so far, I have had going 31 mph so far, no problem. I was thinking about carbon fiber rims and a shamono hub. but it's only money. I will check out that seat it's my top priority. Thanks

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice Build! I was just looking at a 19o7 Reading Standard and your bike looks incredibly similar, the Reading Standard"s handle bars were upright and it had fenders as well as a pretty good size leather sprung saddle, I don't know if that was what you were attempting for the end result but you sure came close to it.
If your tires are 700c or the old 28"s you can purchase a pair of 700cx40mm (28"x1 1/2") Cream colored Electra Amsterdams, they are about $58.00 a pair on Amazon same through Electra (Little cheaper) but they are TOUGH!
Again Nice Looking Bike!!

Last edited:

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I have never heard of a Reading standard. That is very interesting though I will have to check that out. I will also check the tires. The bike is a pre-war Arnold Schwinn light waight, I picked it up at a swap meet. I dsigned the tank myself and a friend welded it up.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Reading Standard motorcycles were one of the best! as my Dad says "Bullet Proof!" they also played a big part in the Board Track Racing rise.
Look it up on Google Images

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I like it! You have done very good!
Simple, straight forward, easy on the eyes.
I really like the headlight!
The chain tensioner gave me the willies though.
Re-do it please before it re-does the spokes in the rear wheel.
Here is a little inspiration for you:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11815&highlight=tensioner
and
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2063
I want to change the tensioner but haven't thought of a clean way to do it yet. I would like to put a spring tenioner on it, or maybe weld a small tab. on the bottom rail. I don't know yet?

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Here is a Reading Standard I found on the Internet I really like the front forks. I might start make them real soon. I like the fact that it give support to the front end.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That's a very nice, clean build. That light is totally cool. Good thing you couldn't use the white wire. Apparently using the white wire causes CDI failure. The only part that doesn't look "period" is the seat. Maybe you could rewrap that one in leather? I don't know. I don't want to say anything negative about a bike that looks far better than any that I've built.

Good job.
I have been using the white wire for quite some time without issue. I am getting ready to switch to a magneto-powered generator, but only because my light draws too much juice at idle and will kill the engine. But the magneto powered generator will serve the same purpose as the white wire, and in fact the wire from the generator will come out through the same hole where the other wires do now.