I hope vintage chain saws make for good vintage looking motors

GoldenMotor.com

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
I have no idea yet as to how to use these but found them in the scrap yard today for a whole $16. They both crank and have good compression but still old as dirt so hopefully I can get at least one to run for my next build. I just couldn't resist when I seen the round jugs (cooling fins) on them. I researched them and the Remington (yea the gun makers) is a 8hp 82cc and the other is 77cc at 5hp. I thought they just looked too cool to be crushed. I hope I can use them somehow. I haven't even tore into them yet but I praying there's some type of clutch in them. As I stated in my intro and on my post "1st time inexperienced builder" I know nothing about bicycles, motorized bikes or chain saws but I'm pretty good with engines. I'd love to hear some ideas, input, past experiences.

Attachments

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I had one something like the one with round cylender it was called a mercury chain saw. The one I had was a two cylender about 250cc, it for a two man chain saw. I had it on a mini bike in the 60's it was scary fast, no cluch direct drive.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I to had one on a mini bike a old Craftsman sure was fun when it ran. aful tempermental. It would of helped if i would of knew for sure what i was doing way back then. It realy run strong and fast.
They should be fun and they should sound more like the big old thumpers did years ago..........Curt

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I'm surprised to that someone beside me owned one of these motors, they were very rare. I have only seen two in my life time. When it fire off it only took the police about ten minutes to show up. The motor had strait pipes that wrapped under the motor. It was so loud you could hear it a couple of miles away. If you took everything off the motor that was not needed it was pretty compact and very powerfull. I wished I could find one again.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Mine was a single. A twin would be awesome to find. I will have to keep a eye out at swap meet and farm shows...........SURE WOULD BE KOOL BIKE MOTOR.........Curt

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Rakkassan heres a link to Leaded 50's build with an ole jorgensen chain saw engine http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35187&highlight=chainsaw+engine&page=13
Plenty of good ideas in that thread. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. More and more ideas of starting, transmission, clutch, drive home build goodies.

BTW I seen a chainsaw exactly like the one you pictured at the scrap yard. I liked the tanks on it and may pick it up this monday if it's still available.

Last edited:

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
What kind of motor is that? it look like the carb. is in the same place as a Mercury. Is is a two cylinder?
I haven't narrowed down the engine make yet. I really wish it was a two cyl. Just two one cyl. I did find this out though. The stroke on both of them are the same as what is known as the 80cc china girl bike engine but the bore is larger giving them a true 80cc's. Ya see where I'm going with this? If I can get the time to finish getting them apart I'm going to see if I can put the piston and cyl on a china girl engine. It'll give me the old look I want and a few extra cc's to provide more power.
The carbs are mounted on the bottom of the engines on these. They do have a intake port on the cyl blocked off with a block off plate. Looks too easy to move the carb and intake. I'll post more info after this weekend. I don't have hardly any time to break into them until then.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I just saw a video of a go kart with one of these motors on it I will sheir it with you tomorrow. I can't figure out how to load it. I will get my son to help. Let me know about the motor you saw. I might be interested. The video brought back old memories.

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
I just saw a video of a go kart with one of these motors on it I will sheir it with you tomorrow. I can't figure out how to load it. I will get my son to help. Let me know about the motor you saw. I might be interested. The video brought back old memories.
I can't get to the scrap yard till monday. If you're interested in another chain saw like the one you pictured I'll pick it up. If you're interested in parts off either of these two like covers or cases etc. anything but the engine and carb let me know. The cases are cool especially the Remmington. I was going to list the parts on fleabay cause I'm sure someone out there wants em and I'll let them go cheap since I only paid $8 per chain saw. If they don't sell they're made of magnesium and it burns nice and bright lol. My son's dying to see how bright.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Plenty of good ideas in that thread. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. More and more ideas of starting, transmission, clutch, drive home build goodies.

BTW I seen a chainsaw exactly like the one you pictured at the scrap yard. I liked the tanks on it and may pick it up this monday if it's still available.
Them old saws 1950's and earlier have a collectors market which is were most mine go. but the old ones had a lot of power packed in such a little package. What I like about using em is a lot of the old ones when ya tear em apart the motors the only thing in the case, where the newer ones have to have the cases cut off to look right.

Rakkassan34

Nov 2, 2012
Kentucky
Wow that go cart was bad azz! I got the saws apart yesterday and it ain't looking good. The Remington doesn't have an intake port cut out on the cyl. It only feeds gas from the bottom and I broke off a bolt on the crankshaft end. The other one has intake and exhaust ports on the sides. I'm not sure if that will be a hassle and interfere with my legs. I looked for a way to put one of these larger cylinders on my china girl engine and it looks like it would be dang near impossible. Off to the scrap yard I go to look for something useable for my next build. Now I know a little more of what to look for I hope I can find something.