Craigslist find

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I found this old cruiser on Craigslist.
I have not been able to identify it yet, but it has a really cool double top and double middle tube style.
I think it used to have a tank. There is a bracket under the neck.
I found a serial number, but have to take the fender off to read it. It is on the left rear drop out.
The grips look original and say Western Flyer.
I was googling the other day and I saw another western flyer bike with the same fin style chain gard on it.
Anyone seen one like this before?

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's a western flyer, made by murray, probably early 70's judging by the reflectors on the pedals.

it's not a spaceliner like venice thought. those have another set of double tubes in the middle.

it's a middleweight bike, meaning it's not all heavy duty like their old cruisers (lightweights are ten speeds.)

looks mostly original, but repainted.

not the strongest bike out there, but cooler than a walmart huffy!

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
OK, I googled Murry Spaceliner, and found a bike that has the same frame.
It is not a Spaceliner, but looks like it is a Western Flyer frame for sure. There is a bike called the Western Flyer Golden Flyer. They only made it for 1 year in 1959, and it is apparently pretty rare. It has the same frame and a pretty cool double headlight tank on it.
I doubt the one I have is the rare one, but maybe they used the same frame for another series at some point.
I will take off the fender mount and get the serial number later to try to get more info.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
So I don't know much about metal manufacturing. I am a carpenter by trade. What is the difference between brazed and welding? Why is brazed bad for MB's?

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I use a smart phone(not so smart) to use the internet. As soonas the desktop is in working order i will post the pics.
Well i can upload to my album if you would to see them.

Well my first experience was with the fin dropouts was with a freespirit. Unfortunately i dont have pics of it, i gave it to my mom. Every thing was original. Even had the old registration stickers. The major thing different from yours is single top tube and that it has a bracket for a rear reflector.

Same basic frame and all, the drop outs look stamped.

So just yesterday i find, on craigslist coincidentally, another fin frame. But this one is a murray monterey. Its the exact sme frame as my other two freespirits. Same handle bars, sprocket, stem, seat clamp, fork an d fork cover thingy, wheels, wheel covers, and grips. The only difference is that it does not have the rearreflector bracket.

So my conclusion is much like the car/truck makers use the same factory for basic build of the vehicle and later change details to make it differ, is what is going on with these frames. Same intial start up then detailed for specific brand.

But anyways after some research it does look like you have a western flyer.

Good luck on your build.
c-los

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
But the sad thing is that they are actually a weaker frame. My yellow one has experienced frame wrapping. Best way is to weld some support tubes in the rear triangle.
C-los