inevitable happened

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Hi Guys, it's LadyG..buzzard's other half.
Wanted to let you know that buzzard had an accident on the way to work 2 weeks ago Monday. He rides his MB to work most days, usually leaves around 5 a.m., we are having a lot of street repair being done on the main street. :-||it had rained a little bit the night before and the new black top was damp and gravelly in spots. He said he went around the corner and hit pea gravel and down he went. The idiot went on to work instead of coming back home. He didn't think he was hurt very bad and the bike wasn't hurt at all. Around noon I guess he decided that his left arm (yes, he's a lefty) was swollen enough that he should probably come home. They brought him home in the shop pick up and the bike is still at the shop.
He walked in sort of feebly and said he had a small wreck with the bike. I helped him get his shirt off and took one look at his elbow and told him it was broke and he was going to the ER. He wouldn't go till he had something to eat. Then he drove himself to the ER about 2, about 5 he called and asked me to get to the hospital, his elbow was broke and they were doing surgery at 7 p.m. The surgeon came out about 10:30 and said it was a bad break, they had put a metal disc and a bunch of screws in his elbow. He goes in Monday to have it checked and possibly the cast taken off.
He says he doesn't feel quite as bad after watching the wreck's on the Tour d'France.
He's behaving fairly well, but I wanted to let ya'll know what was going on. Knowing him he'll be back on the MB as soon as we get it home. He does pretty good for a 75 yo old stubborn buzzard!
LadyG

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tell Larry that we're all pulling for and thinking of him. He's one of the 'Good Guys' and we all think highly of him.
Also tell him 2Door is really concerned for his welfare. Thanks for letting us know about his misfortune and to heal fast.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Really hope the surgery went well and he gets to recover to his favorite hobbies soon. Heart goes out to you buddy.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Lady G,
Really sorry to hear of Buzzard's accident. Boy, that must hurt. I get wimpy just smacking my crazy bone. I hope he's good and gives it time to heal up before beating himself up some more, A buzzard is a tough old bird. Staying active and riding our motorbikes keeps us young.
SB

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Ouch! Get well soon Buzzard. Thanks for taking the time to let us know Mrs.Buzzard.

At least he won't have to worry about fixing the bike up :p

Best wishes.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It can happen any time, to any of us. Hoping Buzzard recovers fast with the least discomfort possible.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Hope for a quick recovery glad it wasn't worse! It's very encouraging to hear someone 75 years old has the hudspa to keep going like that. I hope to be that honery at that age LOL!

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Hi Guys, LadyG posting an update on buzzard. He saw the surgeon this morning, they removed the cast, took out 38 staples, showed us the Xray...buzzard says it looks like they tried to patch an old screen door with screws and a metal plate...he's pretty close to right on that. Dr. said it was one of the worst breaks he's seen in a man any age let alone 75. It looks to me like they took 8 screws and screwed the end of a spoon around the end of his elbow. They're going to leave it in of course.
He doesn't call on his Guardian angels very often, but when he does its for a doozy! He's had 5 close calls that i know of in the last 35 years. That isn't counting broken noses, fingers, sprained ankles and such. Dr. said he's one of the toughest old birds he's ever cared for.
He really thinks a lot of ya'll and is very happy to read all your get well's and best wishes messages.
They put him in a contraption that looks to me like a bionic arm. It has a dial that is set at a certain angle at the elbow so he can almost move his arm. I had to learn how to hook him into it, even tho he can't take it off except for a bath. He goes back to see them in 5 weeks. Possibly going back to work on light duty, no lifting ANYTHING! over 10#... Monday...YES... he's going to keep working as long as they will let him. My fear is that one of the prisoners will take advantage of that and he'll really be in trouble then. He's like an old drill sargeant, doesn't take any crap off any of them. At least with them on work release at the Capitol and Governors Mansion its not like being in the prison yards. The State Patrol will be a holler away.
He's already looking at bike parts...to finish up the stiletto chopper. Much to my dismay.
I guess ya'll will have to put up with me posting for him, he was never much of a typist anyway, but he can't even hit a key right now so any posting that he gets done will be him telling me what to write....I'm the biker babe not the biker! LOL
I spent too many years behind him on a Harley to give it all up now. Too bad the bike doesn't have a side car...
Thanks for your good wishes, they helped a lot.
LadyG
and buzzard looking forward to reading what's he's missed out on.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Lady G.,
Thanks for the update. Good to hear Buzzard is up and around I hope the pain isn't too bad. A trike is a good idea if he's going to rid anything. I know you'd prefer he didn't ride a bike at all, but he'll be careful. Wishing him the best,
SB

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I do have a question...with one arm broken does he ride around in a circle like a buzzard??? PS I hope he's laughin at this post!

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you lady g. let him know he is in all are thoughts and prayers and wish him a speedy recovery.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Just sending Get-Well wishes to the Buzzard. He has all my sympathy. Broken bones are no fun; neither is most hospital food. And the bills tend to be the least fun you can have. Keep us informed. We'll be glad to have him back.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Hi Everybody. Thanks for all your good wishes, you have to know they were felt and very much appreciated.
George, I still think I can ride a straight line, but it will be a while before I find out for sure.
I'm healing up pretty fast and going to try to go back to work Monday on light duty. The pain ain't so bad but the itching is awful.
I have to wear this bionic brace for at least the next 4 weeks till i get a full Drs. release. Like you say, the bills will start coming in. I'm just thankful I've got Medicare. It won't cover it all, but it sure will help.
I'm gonna bring the bike back home and check it out from one end to the other, and get it up and ready to ride again. As they say, don't give up.
buzzard
with LadyG's help

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Never give up, that's for sure! Should grab an old spoke for getting up to the itchy spots. :) Itchy means its healing good though, can't complain too much about that :p

Best of luck on your recovery sir, Keep Calm and Carry On.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to be such a late comer into this bad news... and sorry to hear of it happening.
Buzzard, I am glad to hear that you are healing quickly, and also glad to hear that you are in good spirits, all things considered.
Take care of yourself, and thanks to you LadyG for helping out!