Of all the...

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
...Ignorant, improper, inconsiderate ignoramouses I've had to deal with in this town, the two I met today really had me ticked!

As some of you know, almost two years ago I was hit by a truck whilst riding my motorbike. So, today I was on foot, on sidewalk, and was nearly hit by motorbikes!

I was walking home from the Kroger store on a street with quite a few tight curves to it. I hear conversation just around the corner. I thought those talking were just walking, because I didn't hear anything else. Suddenly, at between 15 and 20 MPH (slight downgrade), came a middle-age couple on e-bikes! I barely had time to dive for the grass! "Thank you." said the man as he zipped by on the silent electric bike with no lights on, ON THE SIDEWALK, no helmets worn.

Thank you? Thank you for trying to stay out of the hospital, while he owns the sidewalk? If I knew where to find them, I'd catch up to them on my own motorbike and personally demonstrate proper road etiquette.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I dont blame you at all for being mad. People like that oughta be taught a lesson in rules of the road. You dont ride ANYTHING motorized on the sidewalk, especially at night without any lights. The only time I have ever driven my bike on a sidewalk was in daylight to avoid a tight corner in traffic, and I always checked to make sure no one was standing there before I did it. People like that make me mad.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I dont blame you at all for being mad. People like that oughta be taught a lesson in rules of the road. You dont ride ANYTHING motorized on the sidewalk, especially at night without any lights. The only time I have ever driven my bike on a sidewalk was in daylight to avoid a tight corner in traffic, and I always checked to make sure no one was standing there before I did it. People like that make me mad.
Oh, it wasn't at night. But, as with motorcycles, when last I checked the motor vehicle laws, even a motorized bicycle is required to have its lights on while it is running night or day. I follow that to the letter; my lights are on wherever I go. That is why I was so meticulous about wiring them solidly, and on independent circuits.

I was mostly upset because, on that curve of the sidewalk and with a house blocking the view, - 1. I got no warning and had to dive, 2. I am a pedestrian on a sidewalk, thus possessing right-of-way over a motor vehicle and, yes, when the motor is engaged they have NO place on a sidewalk for any length of time, 3. not turning on lights shows a degree of disregard for the safety of others as well as their own, BUT 4. I take some consolation that, without helmets, they may soon learn a lesson about safety if they live to remember it.

Last edited: