need advice to mount sprocket on chainsaw (no welder available)

GoldenMotor.com

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
Hi i am trying to biuld a chainsaw bike but have no idea how to mount the sprocket, it has a clutch so dont want friction drive but worried about taking housing off as i dont want to ruin the clutch... any ideas??? Thanks in advance, also i am mounting this to the front wheel
:-|| scratg

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
i just realized it got putin the wrong section my computer sucks i tried posting in general but i guess i was stilll on this one, i will remove but as to eliminate your confusion my idea is to mount the engine in front of the handle bars and run the chain down to a sprocket off of a mtn bike front crank and bolt it to the spokes such as the motor kit sprocket does, but i have no way to mount the sprocket to the saw

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
you say no friction drive, but your mounting the engine over the front wheel? only possible front wheel drive i know of for a bicycle is friction drive.
bigbutterbean is wrong.

You can mount a sprocket to the front wheel using a "rag joint". You can put a centrifugal clutch on the chainsaw with a sprocket, and run a chain between the two.

Last edited:

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Hi Azguero

Unless you are using a 16" or smaller wheel you are going to need a jackshaft reduction.
Something like 18 to 1 reduction is what you need.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
He won't need a jackshaft either, as long as he has enough reduction with the sprockets....say 9 tooth drive, 60 tooth driven.

I know you don't want a friction drive, but I have seen a very simple set up using the chainsaws clutch drum running right on the tire. The guy built it in 15 minutes.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
using
http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

8/52 gears with 12" wheels gives 49mph at 8888 rpm

with this setup you would need a BIG chain saw motor, min of 88cc
But I think he plans on using 26" wheels, and with your numbers, the gear calc in the DIY forum calculates to 105.8 mph at 8888 rpm.

To get useable rario without a jackshaft, he will need a sprocket about the size of his wheel rim. Similar ratio as running the clutch drum against the tire.

There was a front wheel drive build here recently(Lowracer? Lowrider?) where he used a 26" bike rim for a sheave and a belt cent clutch on the motor.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Azguero

I did see a youtube video of someone using a dremal tool to shape the chainsaw clutch teeth to fit some kind of bike chain. I would not advise this.

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
the bike i have is a 24'' i dont have many resources at the moment unfortuantely i like these ideas i think im going to play around ith it a little and see what kind of frankenbike mess i end up with lol im just trying to get motorized somehow and i get the feeling i may be trying too hard as i usually do and then end up doing the simplest thing and having something solid but it seems to be one fail after another lately,,, i put the chainsaw on rack on the rear of the bike and ran a normal chain to gear 4 and reached behind to throttle it, but without modding the saw the chain slipped alot (but worked somewhat) MAIN issues was pedals turn using this method but it was a mockup and ratchet strapped down (very painful in the end)

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
.dd.daxtit
Azguero

I did see a youtube video of someone using a dremal tool to shape the chainsaw clutch teeth to fit some kind of bike chain. I would not advise this.
i actually did consider this and as i only need to go about eight miles it COULD work but what do you think the risks could be using this method becuase it almost works as is

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
I think the video had something like 6 teeth, this small number would be hard on the chain and sprocket. The hardness of the steel, I suspect would be
lacking.

I would go with a friction drive and a drop clutch.

azguero

May 2, 2011
wis
only problem i have with friction is i would need to find a peg or something and cut out the plastic on the saw or break it off but i might have to just do it as long as i can get work without having to pedal (wind always seems to blow both directions)

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As I said, you can run the clutch drum right on the tire for a friction drive, if you can remove enough of the housing. There is a thread on here somewhere where a guy did it.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I remember that thread Joe, I think it was This Guy, with the wood saddlebags.

That's a good idea attaching a cut up cassette for ratio changes. Would need decent welding skills though.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Yes Bikeguy Joe, I have seen the youtube video and it looks like it works well,
BUT running the numbers for a 54mm clutch:

(2.13" * 7777rpm) / 336 = 49 mph

It would work best for a rider under 150lbs, willing to pedal up to 15mph first,
45cc or bigger, and willing to ride in a tuck.

Also a slick bell housing would not work well in wet conditions. Not sure if you could glue
some 36 grit sanding belt on.

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I don't know what the problem would be with shaping the teeth of the sprocket with a dremel. I did it around a year ago and have had absolutely no problems. I've had more problems with the clutch and drum glazing and slipping more than i have sprocket problems. Wetness doesn't seem to bother the clutches at all believe me on this one. If it's a concern cut a small diamond hatch pattern in the shoes. This all comes down to gearing as well. A nice starting point is 20:1, but 30:1 is better.

Last edited: