Where can I get a solex clone?

GoldenMotor.com

soiwait

May 2, 2012
California
I really want to get a solex/hongdu engine kit but the only place i can find them are from BGF on ebay and there's no warranty or returns with that one. I found them earlier this year at t4bmotorsports.com but now they jacked the price up $100 and i emailed them and they said they are out. Where are these engines? anyone have one they want to sell to me? or know where i can get one?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I really want to get a solex/hongdu engine kit but the only place i can find them are from BGF on ebay and there's no warranty or returns with that one. I found them earlier this year at t4bmotorsports.com but now they jacked the price up $100 and i emailed them and they said they are out. Where are these engines? anyone have one they want to sell to me? or know where i can get one?
Welcome...Funny you should mention that today. I just started today searching for a clone myself, and BGF is the cheapest (but I won't buy from them). I'll just wait till other sellers get some in.

soiwait

May 2, 2012
California
I'm not really looking for an actual solex engine, unless it is as cheap as the clone and runs. But thanks.

Al.Fisherman, let me know if/when you find one from a good supplier. I'll do the same. Thanks

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I bought 2 from BGF.
They ran fine after I shaved the heads to get the compression ratio up to normal Solex specs, and put a good crosshatch hone that was poorly done at the factory and played with the jetting.
I have one on an old trike, and one on a 24" black Macargi. I love to ride them.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I just got my solex clone gong today , started right up no problem at all , now to just get it mounted right.
Yeah I checked toys4boys did jack up the price.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Toys4Boys Motorsports up in Canada has them listed, no idea on if they are in stock, though. They are the eBay seller speeddemondotca (I just bought my pipe from them). Their website lists it at $299 + $15 tax, shipping is free: 49cc Solex Motorized Bicycle Kit

They did not mention being out of stock when I put it into the shipping cart on their website, but that info may not be given until after checkout?

If they used to be $199, that would be been a pretty awesome deal. I definitely would have popped for one for my wife's bike at $199!

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
On occasion this Seller puts one one ebay for bid. I watched for months and bid on a few until I got this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25090766319...Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=250907663195&_rdc=1

I have heard some horror stories about what goes on at the border today. UPS is charging broker fees for anything they handle, so it may be pretty problematic to be a Vender in Canada and shipping here. Boxes opened, and things not put back properly or not put back, held at the border for hours(screws up schedules for the shipping companies. Things lost at the border. Then we get the normal shipping issues of damage or lost.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
On occasion this Seller puts one one ebay for bid. I watched for months and bid on a few until I got this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25090766319...Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=250907663195&_rdc=1

I have heard some horror stories about what goes on at the border today. UPS is charging broker fees for anything they handle, so it may be pretty problematic to be a Vender in Canada and shipping here. Boxes opened, and things not put back properly or not put back, held at the border for hours(screws up schedules for the shipping companies. Things lost at the border. Then we get the normal shipping issues of damage or lost.
I just went to this sellers store and there is zero invetory of any products. Is he out of the business?

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary

Wow this is great news (I thought it was just ups screwing Canadians)..... joking but UPS always charges me really quite retarded brokerage fee's , its great when you already paid 40+ $ to ship something and ups shows up @ your door holding your parcel hostage that you paid _____+ 40$ shipping and now they want 40 more bucks....
For some time now I refuse to buy anything that must be shipped UPS , any thing shipped usps (did i get that right) , comes ontime thru canada post , with maybe a couple bucks duty on it.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I bought a used engine not long ago for $50. What are the most valuable and hard to find parts are the fuel tank and plastic covers. For $50 mine didnt have em. I scrounged them later from various places for another $75. Cleaned and ringed the engine, rings looked ok, but why not when its apart. Total cost less than $200. Only thing not there versus a kit were the controls and mounting clamps which are not big deal or $ to come up with( I didnt need em as its going on a Velosolex). Moral of the story is fror some scrounging effort, you can come up with an original Solex which is so much better made for about the same money. I still have 2 HD/Solexes which are good runners once sorted out, and I would probably pay $200 for another, but you can with some searching get an original.