1900s Vintage Style Build

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yeah, I'm in about the same boat. I live in a small town, and nearly all the law enforcement know me. They are used to seeing me on all kinds of different contraptions, and just wave.
It helps that I'm an old guy. We seem to be able to get away with stuff . Prolly because we don't tear around carelessly and oblivious to others as much as the whippersnappers LOL

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh Gosh, It does get really frustrating, CB2, doesn't it?

I've been doing pretty well at staying out of political discussion and tax protest, but it always seeps out of me, sooner or later... it's an American tradition, y'know...

It concerns me that our young people, struggling to maintain position in the global marketplace, may have their creativity and ingenuity stifled for initial lack of tax and license fees. I gotta stop at that.
I get really excited up on the soapbox.

Now I gotta figger out just why you get TWO shifters on your motorbike! lol
I must have missed something, somewhere!

I never was a hotshot gear-change artist like some fellows, but I did like the 5xthree I drove for a few years... Pretty busy with a load on, if the haul was in city traffic.

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok.
got it.
:)
It's the scrubber applicator.

It just occurred to me... IF you are not going to actually use the pedals, footboards are a nice comfy addition on a motorbike.

Best
rc

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wayne, glad to hear things are relaxed down in La. You never cease to impress with your mechnical finnese, but low and behold you know what a wippersnapper is and how to spell it! I dont guess we were ever one? LOL!

RC, The front handle is the clutch, and the back is the brake. In an emergency push em in opposite directions, or is it the same way? Maybe just jump and run.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Finished the stand latch. Some times I think I spend too much time thinking over a concept. I had envisioned a latch like the vintage bikes use, attatched to the extended seat post. Would look kinda strange when the stand was down, which is about 99% of the time the bike is viewed. Came up with this almost invisible latch. Basically a 1/4" bolt and a vintage Tecumseh knurrled air filter knob. Real easy to use, I can raise the stand and latch it with one hand while holding the bike with the other. Absolutely, positively locked. Also is a pic of a compression release I just got. Is for a 80cc chainsaw. I didnt realize Harleys use this type too(aftermarket engines I believe), the holes in them are 1/8" This looks like a 1/16". Will probably have to enlarge it. Am going to try the install in an anti-fouler if I can find one, leaving the head alone. This is all done in the anticipation of later pedal starting. Cranks like a breeze with a rope and the large pulley.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Great idea about the non-fouler. I was in NAPA last week, and I saw some on the floor rack that has misc auto parts hardware.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Also is a pic of a compression release I just got. Is for a 80cc chainsaw. I didnt realize Harleys use this type too(aftermarket engines I believe), the holes in them are 1/8" This looks like a 1/16". Will probably have to enlarge it.
Interesting, I also just bought one of these in hopes of being able to pedal start on the stand.

And had the same thoughts about enlarging the tiny hole.

Oh well I’ll just install and then if necessary enlarge it by minute fractions until it’s right...

Although I am a little worried that if the hole gets too big it may not allow enough back pressure to shut it...?

-Kirk

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Bought a non-fouler today. Looks like its doable but will require careful fab work. They are cheap enough at $2 to screw up a couple. My thoughts are once completed to red Loctite it in place and it will become a permanent part of the engine. Will lower compression but with this build its not critical, maybe even preferable.

Yeah Mr.B. probably a bit at a time on the hole. Pedal starting my engine with the ratio of 9.8 reversed so to speek is gonna require a good bit of release. I saw some John Deere tractor releases, the petcock style. Really would have been cool but the were 1/4npt thread(too big) and I would have to close it on the fly. The pop up is way easier, just not as cool.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
msrfan’s thread was actually what got me thinking about this concept.
But I’ve been looking for a easier to do option.

I've got a box of old gas light parts, perhaps I can find a John Deere style option there...?

-Kirk

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ok, got a painted roller now. Painted out pretty well. Added a head tube gusset, and a semi period correct tube splice overlay where the frame was extended. Also added a vintage looking kill switch with the cloth wiring running through tubes soldered to the bars. The grips are cloth friction tape, and look just right for this bike. Got some vintage pedals too. Waiting on vintage engine parts before installing the engine.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks RC! The Silent Gray Fellow look is what I was generally shooting for, cept this things not very silent. Just about have all the stuff to wind it up. Have to pull the rear wheel and tire as I found its rim liner laying under the work table. Better now than later! Treated the engine to a wire brush restoration. Just couldnt come up with a paint I wanted to use on it. So it is in the raw, still sporting a bit of corroded on Ga. red clay in the head fins from its days as a tiller engine. Turns out it a Wisconson Robin. Maybe now a little more acceptable on an early American style fantasy bike.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I think the 'wire brush resto' would be ok... when surface oxidation occurs, it protects the metal well as anything else, just as long as the engine isn't put away wet...

Well, the frame paint looks so nice, maybe you could paint a few pieces of the tin, the same color???

So a 'Wisconsin Robin' is not built by fuji heavy industries????

NOISE !
That's probably number 46 on my list of projects... a home-made muffler that is not HUGE and will do a good job without robbing too much power from the little engines.

For years, I rode motorcycles like they were stolen.
It was the loud noise that got people upset, first.
Then, it was difficult to run from enforcement with loud pipes!

lol
Yesterday, a chopped deuce coupe made a couple passes through the neighborhood. It had a built SBC in it, with straight pipes... WHY?
I'm sure the guy enjoyed the rumble, but no one else did.
...and he was goosing it! lol

There's really no reason not to have a quality muffler on a thirty thousand dollar hotrod !

I hope to try a larger diameter header tube, with header wrap, then a fabbed glass-pack with a pivot washer on the tail end inside the tail pipe.

A few weeks ago I gathered a bunch of stucco mat scraps from the res construction project, across the street. It should work well for fabbing a glass-pack.

Best
rc

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
There is no tin on the engine RC except a couple of brackets and the air filter which are gray now-shes naked! I just recently discovered Rustolem engine paints. They are excellent and fuel proof. The have a clear that is good for 500 degrees, may just clear the engine. kinda wanted a veteran look to it, wish it was iron. Dont know the real story behind the Wisc-Robin partnership. I believe Fuji built versions of their engines to Wisconsons specs. They are somewhat different. This one has 10mm I believe cylinder head studs, not bolts, heavy duty long lived engines. This one was given to me minus the carb. I fitted a B&S carb, and it runs quite well. This one is not overly loud, especially since its such a low rever and the engine never spools up like a cent. clutch. I love to just get it rolling and engage the clutch and make it slowly hammer its way to 20mph. Putt-putt-putt, shades of the early 1900s.